City Manager Position Summary
About the City of Saint Marys
The City of Saint Marys is an industrial community located in north-central PA with a population of approximately 13,000 people and an annual budget of $7,300,000. It is a city of the third class which operates under the Home Rule Charter form of government. The City has 50 full-time employees and numerous part-time employees. The City is geographically located within the PA Wilds and offers a wealth of outdoor activities, such as hiking, hunting, fishing, local sports, and community events.
The City Manager is the chief executive and administrative officer of the City and is responsible to City Council for the operational oversight of City affairs placed in his/her charge under the City Charter, including personnel leadership, supervision of city departments, and financial management. The City Manager holds primary responsibility for executing all policies established City Council.
- Appoint, manage and develop all City employees
- Direct and supervise the administration of all City officers and agencies
- Serve as a public figure in the community, attending community events as available
- Advocate for and promote the City’s interests with state officials locally, regionally, and at the state Capitol in Harrisburg, PA for funding and other support
- Attend and participate in all Council meetings
- Supervision of City Departments
- Supervise all City departments, including Administrative Staff, Public Works, Police, Code & Zoning Enforcement, Building Code Inspection, Community Economic Development, and Finance
- Negotiate all contracts for the City, make recommendations concerning the nature and location of municipal improvements, and execute projects as approved by City Council
- Execute and ensure the enforcement of all laws and ordinances of the City
- Provide recommendations to Council concerning policy and legislative adjustments
- Assure that all City departments remain in compliance with laws and ordinances of the City, applicable state or federal statutes, public utility franchises, or other contracts
- Financial Stewardship
- Prepare and submit the annual budget to Council and administer as approved
- Provide for the assessment of all personal property and occupations
- Submit to Council a complete report of the financial and administrative activities of the City at the end of each fiscal year
Preferred Candidate Attributes
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited university
- 5+ years of direct experience in financial administration, including long-range planning and budget planning, preferably within a municipal setting
- 5+ years of experience in personnel management, preferably in a public administration setting, including direct supervision, employee development, hiring practices, and employment law
- 5+ years of increasing responsibility and experience in a professional environment
- Demonstrated experience in community engagement and team leadership
- Strong communication skills across multiple functional levels
- Working knowledge of and dexterity with MS Office Suite software
The City Council of Saint Marys will evaluate candidates based on these preferred attributes with consideration for relevant experience, skills, and abilities. Commensurate professional experience will be considered in relation to these preferred attributes.
Qualified and interested candidates should submit a resume/curriculum vitae along with a cover letter addressed to the City Council of the City. Cover letters should briefly summarize and explain the candidate’s unique suitability for the position.
Information should be submitted electronically to the following e-mail address: ManagerSearch@stmaryspa.gov
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis through December 31st, 2020.