The City of Eugene has a Council-Manager form of government. In this form of government, the city council develops legislation and policies to direct the City. The city manager, hired by the city council, provides administrative direction to the organization, oversees City of Eugene personnel and operations, and carries out the city council's direction. The City of Eugene has over 1,500 employees and a $839 million total budget. The City of Eugene is a service-oriented and welcoming organization that provides services through six departments: Central Services, Fire and Emergency Medical Services, Police, Public Works, Planning and Development, and Library, Recreation and Cultural Services. The State of the City video shows how the city is meeting new challenges, learning from one another, building connections, and celebrating our city.
As an organization we are focusing on six Core Competencies for employees:
- Trust & confidence – Making our intent and actions be transparent and honest while fostering healthy, inclusive relationships, actively listening and maintaining open communications, delivering on our promises, investing in other’s success, and engaging each other and the community
- Creative work environment – Exploring meaningful new ideas and relationships to foster innovation and encourage collaboration and creativity. Challenging the standard method of doing business in a positive environment.
- Now & later perspective – Looking beyond day to day challenges to better anticipate the future and adjust to change.
- Respectful & inclusive work environment – Seeking out a wide range of voices and making each other feel respected and included.
- Self-awareness & emotional intelligence – Learning to recognize and understand our own emotions and the emotions of others and recognizing our individual strengths and weakness to raise self-awareness so we can perform better.
- Wellbeing - We take care of ourselves and each other.