General Position Summary:
Under general supervision from the Planning Director, performs supervisory and administrative duties in planning and coordinating the operation of the building inspections department, which includes complex technical duties in enforcing construction codes to ensure public safety and health.
Essential Functions (in a typical work week):
• Supervises Building Inspectors, Plans Examiners and Building Permit Technician(s) and trains, evaluates and disciplines employees; assigns, monitors and coordinates work.
• Assists in preparing and managing budget for building inspection division; approves expenditures for building inspection.
• Interprets, provides information and advice to contractors, builders, and the general public on all aspects of the Oregon Uniform Building Code and related regulations and county ordinances.
• Reviews blueprints, plans, and sketches submitted with permit applications; determines code conformance and reviews cost estimates; lists and explains discrepancies and deficiencies of plans to contractors and the public; approves plans after corrections and issues building permits.
• Performs on-site inspection of residential and commercial building construction to ensure compliance with applicable codes; verifies construction is according to approved plans; checks site locations for proper set-backs; inspects, as certified, plumbing, heating, cooling, structural and mechanical systems for compliance with regulations and safety requirements.
• Conducts final inspection of completed work; gives official approval to acceptable structures and installations, and rejects unacceptable work.
• Participates in meetings with building contractors and the general public to discuss problem areas involved in construction authorized by permits, actions of field inspectors, questions regarding building use or general guidance and interpretation of various state codes.
• Prepares estimated personnel supplies and equipment costs for the annual planning and development department budget.
• Investigates building code violations, complaints and official reports, checks hazardous conditions; writes correction notices; issues "stop work" orders; completes inspection forms.
• Direct supervision of Building Inspectors and administrative support personnel. Plans, organizes, prioritizes, assigns, and reviews the work of staff involved in building construction inspection and codes enforcement. Establishes work goals and project plans.
• Reviews subordinate work for conformance with established policies, procedures, standards, techniques, and Oregon Statute.
• Prepares performance evaluations for assigned employees. Provides guidance to subordinate employees for overall performance improvement and career development.
• Performs related administrative tasks such as answering correspondence, preparing periodic activity reports, and directing the work of a subordinate staff.
• Serves as a liaison between the county and state code regulatory agencies within the Oregon Department of Commerce.
• Performs other related work as assigned.
Read our full job description online at our website. https://www.co.wasco.or.us/departments/human_resources/employment.php