General Position Summary:
Repairs, overhauls, services and maintains vehicles, machinery, construction equipment and associated machinery utilized by the County Public Works department.
Essential Functions (in a typical work week):
- Performs maintenance and major overhaul work on gas and diesel road equipment.
• Repairs transmissions, differentials and other gear boxes, making necessary replacements and adjustments.
• Grinds valves, set tappets and push rods, adjusts and repairs steering gear and front end assemblies; install clutches and brake linings and makes necessary adjustment; inspects, repairs and replaces defective parts as needed.
• Fabricates special parts or pieces of equipment required for various jobs, which includes cutting with oxyacetylene and plasma cutter.
• Performs general welding including sheet metal, hard surfacing or repairing brakes casting, using oxyacetylene or electric arc welding equipment as required.
• Responsible for diagnosing field repairs and performing service work outside the shop.
• Performs body and fender repairs, straightening and repairing as needed; replaces broken glass.
• Changes tires and makes tires repairs in shop and out in the field;
• Keeps records and reports for Public Works Department and road Districts.
• Is responsible for safe work practices and adequate safety devices used in everyday work.
• Maintains parts inventory, vehicle log and service records on computer database when Shop Supervisor is absent.
• Able to operate all machinery and equipment.
• Works with Shop Supervisor to lay out, assign, supervise and inspect work of mechanic and service personnel.
• Responsible for shop purchases and inventory re-stock when required.
• Any employee may be required by their manager to perform any of the duties described in his/her position description, and other duties which may be necessary or desirable and for which the employee is qualified.
Come work with the best team in the beautiful Columbia River Gorge! Go to our website for full job description and application materials.