The following duties are representative of this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Installs, repairs and maintains collection and distribution systems including making water and sewer taps, installing and exercising water valves and hydrants, installing water and sewer mains, sewer cleanouts, blow offs, meter boxes and sewer manholes, raises manholes.
- Performs hydrant flushing and valve exercising program.
- Bores under roads; sawcut roads; restores road and landscapes after work is complete.
- Performs miscellaneous duties such as general housekeeping of shop, vehicles and pump station sites, parts inventory, reads water tank levels, checks pressure at water meters in response to complaints.
- Inspects and ensures proper working safety equipment before use.
- Locates water and sewer features for planned excavations through the NC811 system.
- Maintains water main air release valves.
- May be paired with and oversee an inmate on work release.
- Serves on call, always, for emergencies.
- Uses various field and office equipment to perform work.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Technician II duties include all tasks listed above in addition to:
- May take and record weekly water distribution sampling.
- Communicates with water and sewer treatment plant personnel, as needed.
- Directs the work up to two crew members, when assigned, to perform necessary tasks.
- Supports Utilities Administration with special projects and occasional utility inspections.
Technician III duties include all takes listed above in addition to:
- Manages and operates partner utility water interconnections
- May serve as back up Operator in Responsible Charge for the collection system.
- Directs the work of up to four crew members, when assigned, to perform necessary tasks.
- Supports utility supervisor in supervisory duties, as assigned.
- Requires a High School Diploma and/or GED; or any equivalent combination of training and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- NC Driver's License.
- Must obtain NCCDL Class A with combination endorsement within eight months after probationary period ends.
- Must obtain flagger certification within 12 months of hire.
- Requires a High School Diploma and/or GED and two years of experience in water and wastewater; or any equivalent combination of training and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- NC CDL Class A with combination endorsement.
- NC Flagger Certification
- Utility Inspection experience preferred.
- Requires a High School Diploma and/or GED and four years of experience in water and wastewater; or any equivalent combination of training and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- NC CDL Class A with combination endorsement
- NC Flagger Certification
- Cross Connection Control Certification preferred.
- Utility inspection experience preferred.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of vehicles, machinery and equipment.
- Must be able to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Must be able to lift and/or carry weights of up to 100 pounds.
- Work involves frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, climbing, and balancing.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs if they believe they are unable to perform every task on a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. The town will consider any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education, and experience to meet minimum qualifications. Position classification (Level I, II or III) and starting salary is dependent upon the candidate's certification level, qualifications, and experience. A competitive benefits package is provided.
The Town of Hillsborough is a drug and alcohol free workplace. A pre-employment drug test will be conducted. This position is designated as a safety-sensitive position, and is subject to random drug testing.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER