The following duties are representative of this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Maintains and balances the general ledger and subsidiary ledgers; makes entry adjustments for accounts, as needed; prepares month end and year end reconciliations and closings of general ledger accounts and journal entries.
- Monitors daily cash receipts, payroll entries and invoices; balances receipts to the general ledger, and corrects errors.
- Reconciles bank accounts for the town, Tourism Development Authority and Tourism Board.
- Ensures compliance with NC General Statutes, GAAP, and other state and federal regulations.
- Prepares a variety of financial reports and analyses related to general ledger accounts, funds and costs; receives and/or reviews various records and reports including payroll information, purchase order requests, food/beverage reports and bank statements.
- Assists town employees as needed to analyze grant applications, monitors, tracks, and submits reports to banks and funding agencies.
- Assists with the monitoring of the departmental operating budgets, and other budget related inquiries; assists department heads in analyzing operations and makes recommendations.
- Prepares mandated state and federal reports, including quarterly and yearly payroll reports, annual tax return, Powell Bill and street maintenance reports.
- Assists in the compilation of information, analysis, data entry and research for the annual audit; prepares audit schedules, performs journal entry adjustments, tracks capital assets, compiles relevant information and research.
- Provides backup support for bi-weekly payroll, support for unusual, high-level billing and collections tasks, and backup to the assistant finance director in his/her absence; assists other staff with complex accounting issues.
- Evaluates, recommends, and initiates internal controls, policies and procedures.
- Participates in software testing and upgrades.
- Performs research and analysis of trends and other financial issues.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- Requires a Bachelor's Degree and 2 years of related experience; or any equivalent combination of training and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Must be physically able to operate small hand tools, and a variety of automated office machines.
- Must be able to exert up to 5 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Must be able to lift and/or carry weights of up to 20 pounds.
- Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for periods of time.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs if they believe they are unable to perform every task on a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. The town will consider any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education, and experience to meet minimum qualifications. Hiring salary will be dependent on qualifications. A competitive benefits package is provided.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER