Performs responsible technical work in construction inspections of infrastructure for residential, and commercial developments, including water and sewer lines, streets, sidewalks and related appurtenances.
Note: Experience in construction inspections preferred. Candidates without significant construction experience may be considered for hire as a trainee. The hiring range for a trainee position is $49,894-$66,057.
- Reviews plans and construction drawings for proper location of valves, hydrants, laterals, manholes, water and sewer lines, and other appurtenances; reviews plans for adherence to adopted engineering specifications such as depth, locations, materials, and construction methods.
- Meets with contractors, engineers, owners, project managers and architects and reviews and explains construction requirements.
- Inspects construction work in progress and upon completion for quality of work and adherence to approved plans and specifications; checks for proper grade and materials; takes samples of soils and materials and has compaction, density and other test performed.
- Oversees chlorination of lines by contractors; collects water samples; oversees pressure testing of water lines.
- Locates connection point into system for contractors.
- Oversees pressure testing of sewer lines and vacuum testing of sewer manholes.
- Completes field inspections of Town-owned projects to enforce local and state laws, ordinances and standards; notifies other departments of construction issues; keeps detailed records of projects.
- Maintains log and records work activities and field findings; insures that as-builts are submitted upon completion of project; indicates recommendation for acceptance of new lines and systems; completes chlorination reports.
- Answers public inquiries and complaints concerning streets, driveways, storm water, grading and water and sewer projects.
- Observes concrete field testing.
Additional Job Duties
- Attends classes to increase knowledge and maintain any certifications.
- Performs related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of water and sewer line construction techniques, processes, and materials, and the ability to determine whether design specifications are being met.
- Considerable knowledge of street construction techniques, processes and materials, and the ability to determine whether design specifications are being met.
- Considerable knowledge of engineering specifications and standards relating to water and sewer line, street, and storm drainage construction.
- Ability to interpret results of materials and construction testing.
- Ability to read and interpret plans and specifications and to compare them with various aspects of construction in progress.
- Ability to detect errors in construction materials and projects.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with contractors, developers, construction workers, the general public, and other employees; ability to exercise tact and firmness in the enforcement of requirements.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with the general public and other employees.
- Ability to plan and organize own work and maintain the necessary records and reports.
- Ability to make recommendations of corrective actions or provide alternatives to address identified conflicts between approved plans and field conditions.
- Oversee third party inspection and testing reports and make recommendations based on findings and standard specifications.
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications
- Graduation from a two year technical school or community college with a major in civil engineering, drafting, design, or related field and some related construction or engineering experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience related to construction or engineering with utilities, streets.
- Possession of a valid North Carolina driver's license.
- The preferred candidate will have extensive experience in construction inspections or related work.
- Requires drug testing and background verification including references, criminal record and driver's license checks prior to employment.