Organization: Benzie County
Location: Beulah, MI
Pay Range: $77,000 - $88,000
The Administrator serves under the direction of the Benzie County Board of Commissioners, implements the directives and policies of the Board, coordinates internal services involving personnel management, financial management, purchasing, grant funding, and performs various research and development activities assigned by the Board. Serves as liaison between department heads, the public, and the Board of Commissioners, and supervises assigned support personnel, maintaining various activity records and preparing related reports.
• Plans, coordinates and submits the proposed annual operating, special revenue fund, and capital budgets to the County Board; oversees the preparation and presentation of periodic fiscal and monitoring reports to the Board; serves as Chief Administrative Officer as defined in the Uniform Budgeting and Accounting Act; monitors all accounts, offices, and departments of the county and works with elected officials and appointed department heads to recommend budget adjustments and changes to the Board as needed. Works jointly with elected officials and appointed department heads in the collection and analysis of information related to the County's finances, and in the preparation of annual budgets.
• Provides staff assistance to the Board in the formulation of long range financial plans and development and implementation of financial policies. Also assists the Board and Planning Commission in annual and multi-year capital improvement programming. Manages major administrative and other related projects for the Board.
• Ensures the County’s procurement policy is adhered to and assists in the development of requests for proposals.
• Coordinates, assists in the preparation, and encourages application by departments, commissions, and committees for grant funding.
• At the direction of the Board, represents the Board of Commissioners both internally and externally serving as central contact point for Departments and Commissioners, providing information to citizens, coordinating communications with the media and representing the Board in various local, regional, state and federal agencies, organizations, and events. May be required to make public appearances to clarify issues and program requirements during regular and non-regular hours.
• Supervises the construction, maintenance and repair of all County owned facilities and grounds, excluding the jail/sheriff’s office. Manages all communication services. Oversees planning, implementation and operation of information technology systems, including servers, computers, internet, and email. Coordinates with Board Chair on building closing issues such as inclement weather.
• Maintains a current level of knowledge of public administration and related disciplines through active membership in appropriate professional organizations and through monitoring professional journals/publications. Participates in related training conferences and seminars subject to Board approval. Serves as liaison to other counties through participation in Michigan Association of County Administrative Officers, Michigan Municipal Executives or similar organizations.
• Serves as liaison to county attorneys as directed by the Chair of the Board and takes the lead on working with legal counsel to resolve legal complaints in order to minimize general liability.
• Works with Board to develop and annually review the Strategic Plan.
• Serves as Chief Union Negotiator. Assigned by Board of Commissioners to address and resolve union grievances.
• Coordinates with County Clerk on preparation of agendas for committees of the Board and attends all Board meetings and other meetings as directed by the Board. The County Clerk prepares agendas for meetings of the board.
• Provides assistance to the Board and committees to facilitate action on matters requiring their attention such as policy review, contract review, contract negotiations, and liaison with other boards and agencies.
• Investigates and researches various issues and projects assigned by the Board and reports the results with possible alternatives and recommended courses of action. Including coordinating FOIA and OMA response based on Board policy.
• Coordinates risk management for the County in coordination with the County Clerk, including interacting with third party carriers and administrators for employee insurance, liability, errors and omissions, fleet, and umbrella coverages. Reviews claims and works with counsel and Board regarding settlement options.
• Coordinates and assists the Board, elected officials, appointed department heads, committees, and commissions with reports required by state and federal agencies, grants, or other entities.
• Works to establish a professional working relationship with other similar governmental Administrator’s within Benzie County to include but not limited Benzie Bus, Benzie County Road Commission, Medical Care Facility (Maples), Frankfort City Administrator, etc.
• Responsible for compliance with Human Resource related issues.
• Develops and maintains a cooperative working relationship with the County Court system.
• Regularly communicates with Board of Commissioners, elected officials, staff, and the public.
• Performs a variety of other duties as assigned by the Benzie County Board of Commissioners.
• Master’s degree preferred in Public Administration, Public Finance, Business Administration, Accounting, Human Resources or related fields.
• A Bachelor’s Degree is acceptable with appropriate experience and/or equivalent work and educational background.
• Five (5) to seven (7) years’ experience managing municipal and/or county government, or equivalent managerial/administrative work background.
Skills/Knowledge/Abilities (SKA) Required:
• Must have strong skills in recognizing potential impacts of decisions (big picture thinking), budgeting and finance, communications and public relations administration.
• The individual filling this position must be self-motivated, have strong personal character and be capable of working with a variety of personality types.