The City of Aspen is Hiring a Strategy and Innovation Director
Apply now at www.cityofaspen.com
Title: Strategy and Innovation Director
FSLA Status: Exempt
Salary Range: $95,867.20 – $134,700.80 - Salary Offer Dependent on Qualifications
The Strategy and Innovation Director performs enterprise-wide professional, mentoring, technical, and supervisory work coordinating the strategic operational and business activities of the City of Aspen. This role is tasked with championing a culture of creativity. Further, this position models the organization’s core values and mission in all interactions with internal and external stakeholders.
- Develops a deep understanding of business needs across the organization, becoming a respected advocate and trusted resource on strategic direction and organizational performance. Uses well-developed facilitation and project management skills to effectively lead cross-departmental work groups and project teams.
- Uses industry-leading approaches and methodologies to improve city performance and results with a focus on key performance metrics. Monitors and evaluates organizational progress in support of sustainable, continuous improvement initiatives.
- Develops change management strategies in collaboration with leadership and department directors to adopt new initiatives successfully. Works with departments to develop and support necessary competencies to promote new or current initiatives.
- Develops mechanisms for performance measures to include accountability along with other organizational performance strategies; advises Manager’s office on the creation and implementation of an internal framework of standards and processes intended to support operational outcomes. Comprehensively, implements an organizational performance lens with a focus on equity and inclusivity.
- Assists the Manager’s Office with the City of Aspen’s strategic planning. Facilitates, coaches, assists, and oversees the departmental workplan development and implementation. Ensures departmental work plans align with Council strategic goals, the City mission, and City values. May develop and manage a system for reporting the direction and progress of the City Council’s goals and strategy, including City and department performance metrics.
- Champions data visualization and continuous improvement training to increase the number of employees within departments fluent in translating data into insight, process mapping, and performance improvement.
- Co-manages the Administrative Services budget in conjunction with the Communications Director. Contributes to the optimal management of vendor, financial, and capital resources to achieve strategies and objectives by managing and negotiating contracts, and vendors; may develop projections and fiscal impacts of new initiatives.
- Monitors and evaluates team and individual employee performances. Makes recommendations regarding hiring, discipline, termination, or advancement of employees. This position will conduct performance evaluations, schedule employees, assign work, monitor progress, guide, train, and develop employees in the accomplishment of their duties and professional growth.
- Service: Provides service with excellence, humility, integrity, and respect in daily work, builds trust by listening, treats people with respect, acknowledges opportunities for improvement, and follows through with commitments.
- Partnership: Actively creates strong, supportive internal and external relationships to attain a common goal and achieve greater impact together.
- Stewardship: Balances social, environmental, and financial responsibilities, evaluating the impact of decision making on a thriving future for all.
- Innovation: Develops technical expertise to pursue new ideas and creative outcomes, grounded in Aspen’s unique culture, opportunities, and challenges.
- Communication: Knowledge of effective and appropriate communication. Ability to use knowledge effectively in various contexts which may require oral, written, visual and non-verbal communication.
- Interpersonal: Works to develop strength in interpersonal skills. Has the ability to work well with diverse groups of people, both inside and outside the organization.
- Technology: Demonstrates technology skills sufficient for the nature and level of position. Demonstrates a willingness to learn new technologies and transition job duties accordingly to support technological advances and innovation.
- Team Building: Works to build and maintain high performing teams to includes appreciating differences and reinforcing a sense of belonging.
- Accountability & Trust: Follows through on commitments, takes responsibility for outcomes, and values relationships.
- Strategic Thinking: Works to bring a strategic focus to daily work, anticipates problems and considers solutions.
- Business Acumen: Demonstrates understanding of business processes, objectives, and goals.
- Policies and Regulations: Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Three years of progressively responsible professional experience leading enterprise-wide organizational performance and innovation initiatives, project management of software systems, the use of data to make and validate decisions, and the use of effective change management strategies with demonstrated supervisory experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or a related field. *
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and have a basic understanding of computers and online computer-based technology applications, which includes accessing web-based platforms.
- The ideal candidate will have a master’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or a related field. They will also hold IT Project Management, Innovation, and/or Process Improvement certification(s).
See full job description here
* Please note that any combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required abilities, knowledge, and skills as determined by the City of Aspen may be substituted for the requirements above.
Enjoy Industry Leading Benefits:
- Health and Wellness Benefits, including Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance.
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Cafeteria Benefit
- Wellbeing Program and Incentives
- Homeowner’s Down Payment Assistance
- Competitive 401(a) Employer Retirement Contributions
- Flexible Schedule
- Discounted Ski Passes
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off
- Extended Sick Leave
To submit your application, visit www.cityofaspen.com
Applications will be accepted on a continuous basis until a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.
The application must be filled out completely; stating "see resume" anywhere in the application, is not an acceptable substitute for a completed application.
Direct any additional questions or inquiries to our Talent Acquisition Business Partner by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
The City of Aspen is an Equal Opportunity Employer