This classification performs technical accounting work in the finance department including account reconciliation, accounts payable, and payroll.
The following duties are representative of this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Receives bi-weekly time sheets from department heads; verifies for accuracy to process payroll, transmit bank files, state and federal taxes, 401k, retirement, garnishments, and loan/HSA payments; prepares quarterly payroll reports.
- Reviews/approves accounts payable invoices for accuracy; approves purchase order requests; assists with processing accounts payable as needed; assists department heads with line item questions.
- Calculates/collects food and beverage and occupancy taxes, mails delinquent notices, posts miscellaneous revenue payments.
- Issues/collects payments for beer and wine privilege licenses, special event, itinerant merchant, single day food and beverage, and mobile food vendor permits.
- Reconciles/records tax receipts from county.
- Prepares journal entries related to payroll, taxes, and accounts payable; prepares monthly departmental report; prepares annual W-2's and 1099's; processes year-end reports for payroll and accounts payable.
- Provides data and processes reports for audit as needed.
- Reconciles bank statements.
- Reconciles cash drawers and prepares bank deposits.
- Assists accounts payable technician.
- Performs other related work as required.
Education and Experience:
- Requires a High School Diploma and/or GED and 4 years of related experience; or any equivalent combination of training and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) certification preferred, and required within two years of employment.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of automated office machines.
- Must be able to exert up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for periods of time.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs if they believe they are unable to perform every task on a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. The town will consider any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education, and experience to meet minimum qualifications. Hiring salary will be dependent on qualifications. A competitive benefits package is provided.