The duties listed below are not all of the duties that may be assigned but are those that are considered as essential for an employee to perform.
- Conduct title and heir searches on delinquent real property accounts to start the foreclosure process. Performs legal research of public records, including deeds, plats, wills, deaths, births, marriages, divorces, judgments, special proceedings, and civil filings.
- Conduct field visits to post notice of impending foreclosure and notice of sale on delinquent properties.
- Files and records legal documents with the Clerk of Superior Court as it pertains to the foreclosure process.
- Attend auctions, accepts payments for properties sold at auction, notifies bidders of upsets bids.
- Prepares legal documents by drafting memos, letters, payment agreements, and completing certain forms.
- Works closely with the County Attorney’s Office, County Code Enforcement, and municipalities Code Enforcement concerning legal issues, such as land ownership, collections issues, nuisance/abatement and demolition of properties.
- Maintain in Rem Foreclosure Dashboard, Case Management System, and updates the Tax Office Website with foreclosure information.
- Assists with public records request, and performs high level 3 administrative tasks including speaking with staff, taxpayers, attorneys, and others about the foreclosure process.
- Utilizes certain programs to map properties in the foreclosure process to ensure that the property being foreclosed on matches the property described in the deed.
- Performs general office duties including; answering phones, maintaining files, typing correspondence, and scheduling meetings.
Associates Degree in an approved paralegal program. At least one year of experience in Real Estate Law or experience in performing title/heir searches. NC State Bar Paralegal Certification and NC Notary preferred. Must be willing to obtain State Bar Paralegal Certification and NC Notary within the first two years of employment. The candidate selected must undergo a criminal background check and pass a drug screening test prior to employment.