The duties listed below are not all of the duties that may be assigned but are those that are considered as essential for an employee to perform.
- Develops, prepares, presents or coordinates Safety & Risk Management training that is required and appropriate for Gaston County Departments.
- Serves as a resource to employees and management and addresses safety questions/concerns.
- Investigates injuries to determine causes and recommends preventive measures and corrective actions.
- Conducts and documents Safety Facility Audits, annually, of Gaston county Government buildings for compliance with laws, policies, rules and regulations
- Coordinates ongoing safety and health projects which include ensuring contractor safety compliance.
- Leads the County Safety Committee and plans and coordinates monthly meetings.
- Serves as Gaston County’s Drug Enforcement Representative (DER). Coordinates pre-employment random and post-accident drug testing.
- Inspects and initials Administration Building fire extinguishers on a monthly basis.
- Coordinates Emergency Evacuation Drills, as needed.
- Serves as a backup to the Risk Manager in filing Worker’s Compensation Claims, etc.
- Must be available to answer after-hours telephone calls (schedule varies).
- Serves as a back-up to the ADA Coordinator.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
- Reports to County Risk Manager.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Risk Management, Safety/Occupational Health or closely related field. Requires minimum of four (2) years experience in a public sector or private sector safety/risk-related position, or any such combination of education and experience. CSP or MESH Certification is preferred. The candidate selected must undergo a criminal background check and pass a drug screening test prior to employment.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES: Considerable knowledge of Worker’s Compensation and OSHA regulations. Thorough knowledge of the philosophy, principles and practices of risk management. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships. Ability to accurately prepare and maintain complex records.