How to Apply
You MUST apply at https://bit.ly/3kDQofh by July 27, 2021 at Midnight EST to be considered.
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
Don't take our word for it. Read what our people are saying at https://bit.ly/NCDOTGreatPlaceToWork. We are the highest rated state agency for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor with over 165 reviews.
We are looking for a Roadside Environmental Field Operations Engineer to join our statewide Field Operations team.
In this role you will:
- Ensure that roadside programs are implemented and followed appropriately during the construction/maintenance phases of highway development in NCDOT Divisions 7 and 8.
- Provide information to Construction teams including engineers, managers, and staff on sedimentation/erosion control and vegetation management matters.
- Obtain technical expertise related to environmental regulations, soil types, hydraulics, hydrology, controlling and containing stormwater runoff, vegetation, and water quality, and providing this expertise to construction and maintenance teams.
- Monitor projects undergoing earth disturbing activities and ensure all mandated rules and regulations are followed related to protected water courses, environmentally-sensitive areas, and other areas requiring permit compliance.
- Conduct routine project inspections and make critical decisions/judgements relating to compliance of a variety of mandates including the Sedimentation and Pollution Control Act of 1973.
- Perform thorough site inspections on active construction sites to determine compliance with approved plans.
- Correspond with engineers, contractors and regulatory agencies regarding erosion and sediment control/stormwater compliance issues.
- Perform erosion and sediment control plan design reviews for land disturbing projects.
- Provide technical guidance and training to engineers, contractors and other staff on erosion and sediment control/stormwater requirements.
What You Bring
- Knowledge of Soil/Water Engineering with considerable knowledge of Engineering Hydrology, Hydraulics, and Water Resources Engineering.
- Thorough knowledge of erosion and sediment control/stormwater laws and NPDES stormwater requirements for construction sites.
- Knowledge of construction/maintenance procedures.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills especially related to communicating details of plans, project documents, policies, and procedures to department staff, contractors and regulatory agencies.
- Experience maintaining effective working relationships and solving problems that involve explaining complicated engineering concepts with NCDOT staff, consultants, contractors, and regulatory agencies.
- Ability to make complex field engineering decisions.
- Ability to deal well with change, manage conflict, negotiate complex technical and policy situations, and lead individuals and groups to resolve conflict.
- We may require registration as a professional engineer by the NC Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors.
- Your office location is negotiable.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, and
- 4+ years of relevant experience; or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Call me: Wendy Clement at 919-707-2923.
Follow NCDOT Careers on
See all NCDOT jobs at: https://bit.ly/ncdotjobs