The City of Takoma Park is seeking a Facilities Maintenance Supervisor to perform skilled work in the repair and maintenance of City facilities and equipment. This position is responsible for keeping the mechanical, electrical, plumbing, heating, cooling, ventilation, and fire alarm systems of all City facilities in proper working condition. The position also oversees the day-to-day operations of the Building Maintenance division and Custodian division, and supervises the respective staff.
Typical duties include:
- Planning, scheduling, and overseeing the daily work activities of the Facility Maintenance division and Custodian division;
- Carrying out supervisory responsibility in accordance with policies, procedures, and applicable laws;
- Ensuring staff are utilizing safety equipment and have received proper safety training;
- Conducting periodic inspections and evaluating facilities and equipment conditions, and implementing required repairs;
- Establishing equipment maintenance and replacement schedules, and ensuring that sufficient materials, tools, and equipment are available for scheduled work;
- Preparing operating and capital improvement projects budgets for the Building Maintenance division;
- Developing and monitoring annual operating budget for the Building Maintenance division;
- Performing as a skilled craftsman, completing repairs on mechanical and electrical systems, as well as performing minor building renovations;
- Managing the purchasing process for all mechanical equipment used by the City including: developing equipment specifications required for optimum performance for City operations; staying informed of technological improvements in equipment to provide added benefit; and ensuring all purchases meet City specifications and purchasing requirements;
- Overseeing the implementation of a comprehensive energy management program, including: analyzing current energy use and identifying measures and methods for reductions; and identifying energy efficient equipment and incentive or rebate programs to assist with purchase;
- Overseeing snow and ice response for the walkways around City facilities;
- Monitoring contracts for various facility services, negotiating, evaluating effectiveness, determining best utilization of contractors to serve the needs of department and staff;
- Monitoring productivity and work flow of contractors;
- Maintaining on-call status to respond to emergencies and perform maintenance and repair as required;
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications include:
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree;
- Six or more years of progressively responsible experience as a journey level employee in at least one of the construction trades; and,
- At least two years of supervisory experience;
- Any combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job;
- Valid State Driver’s License;
- Related certification for any of the following trades: plumbing, electrical, heating and air conditioning (must have at least one)
- Able to stand, walk, lift/or move up to 100 pounds, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Preferred candidates may possess the following:
- Multiple certifications in the above trades;
- Mechanical Contractor license.
Typical working conditions include:
- While performing the essential functions of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to outdoor weather conditions and work with and/or near moving mechanical parts;
- Work is performed primarily in the field, exposing employees to fumes, noxious odors, dust, mists, gases and poor ventilation that can affect the respiratory systems, eyes or skin; possible bodily injury from moving parts, electrical shock, falling from high, exposed places and/or toxic or caustic chemicals;
- The incumbent’s working conditions vary from moderately quiet to loud.
The hourly wage for this position is expected to be between $31.90 per hour and $37.02 per hour.
The City of Takoma Park is a small jurisdiction in Montgomery County, Maryland bordering the District of Columbia and Prince George’s County. Inhabited by a diverse and politically active population of 17,000 citizens, Takoma Park is known for its progressive policies, historic tree-lined neighborhoods, and independent businesses. We are proud to be a workforce of almost 200 full-time and part-time employees that are as diverse as the community we serve. We strive to maintain excellent customer service and responsiveness to our residents and everyone we work with. It is with this in mind that we seek to improve by championing quality and efficiency through a dedicated workforce and cooperative spirit.