The American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) has brought an unprecedented level of funding to local governments, for aid in recovery from the COVID pandemic. As such, Takoma Park has created an ARPA Manager position to aid in the administration, oversight, tracking, and reporting of these federal funds.
The ARPA Manager is a department-head equivalent, professional leader that will provide strategic guidance, lead community outreach, and project management to allocate approximately $17 Million for ARPA funded programming within the City of Takoma Park. The incumbent will guide, oversee, and report on the full use of ARPA funds.
The ideal candidate will possess strong fiscal management and interpersonal communication skills, be a strong analytical thinker, and have demonstrated successful experience working as a part of a leadership team. The successful incumbent will be a strong collaborative partner, exercising a high level of tact, good judgment, discretion, diplomacy, and cooperative working relationships with diverse groups of people.
This position will report directly to the City Manager or his/her designee for day to day operations and completion of tasks. Additionally, this position will work closely with the Deputy City Manager and Finance Director to design, develop, and implement performance and financial data reporting infrastructure.
Key Job Functions:
- Develop and manage the ARPA Implementation Plan according to federal program guidelines;
- Provides technical consultation and policy interpretation to City Council, City leadership, and staff;
- Prepares ARPA budget reports and presents updates to City leadership and/or City Council;
- Maintain fluency of ARPA policies and legislation to appropriately guide stakeholders and disperse funds;
- Partner with various stakeholders and external agencies to research and review potential projects and programs;
- Conduct community outreach and lead cross-departmental conversations to determine ARPA funded projects;
- Complete quantitative and qualitative data research and analysis to guide the decision-making process;
- Provide strategic guidance on implementation of ARPA projects and use of funds, and ensure appropriate spending;
- Analyze and compile complex information into key themes and projects for understanding by various stakeholder groups;
- Summarize complex data reports, policies, projects, and statutory requirements;
- Ensure compliance with federal and City legislation and policy;
- Coordinate with regional partners on potential areas of collaboration;
- Present opportunities, findings, and recommendations to City leadership and City Council;
- Coordinate development of project scope and functions;
- Develop monitoring and evaluation to ensure fund usage has intended impact;
- Prepare reports, findings, conclusions, and recommendations for multiple stakeholder groups;
- Attends City Council meetings as requested.
Qualifications expected to be successful:
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of a degree program in business administration, public administration, finance, urban planning, or comparable field;
- Work experience that demonstrates strong problem-solving and analytical skills, as well as an understanding of public policy and the budget process, generally five or more years;
- or, an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities;
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective communication between stakeholders;
- The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of public policy development and implementation and will have supported high priority and high visibility policy initiatives, preferably in a municipal government;
- Experience managing federal funds and completing federal reporting is preferred.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated mastery of the following Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- The ability to understand complex legislation;
- Experience managing local, state, and federal grants;
- Experience communicating effectively, both verbally and in writing, regarding complex technical and administrative matters;
- The ability to navigate differing points of view and persuade stakeholders to buy in to final decisions;
- The ability to organize complex financial data for preparation and delivery of presentations to various stakeholders including City Council and residents;
- Ability to work independently with strong negotiating, problem-solving, analytical skills, and work under pressure of deadlines;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other departments, external agencies, elected officials, and residents;
- Experience with developing and monitoring budgets, financial reporting, and governmental accounting of federal, state, or local municipalities;
- Ability to prioritize work and produce quality and timely work with close attention to detail.
This is a limited term position through the end of calendar year 2026. The anticipated annual salary is $110,000 to $125,000, and will be offered at a level consistent with the experience and qualifications of the selected candidate. The position is benefit-eligible for the life of the position, starting on day one, with an excellent benefit package including City-paid employee premiums for most health, dental, and vision plans.
A first review of resumes is expected to begin on September 13, 2021 and the position will remain open until filled.
The City of Takoma Park is a small jurisdiction in Montgomery County, Maryland bordering the District of Columbia and Prince George’s County. Inhabited by a diverse and politically active population of 17,000 residents, Takoma Park is known for its progressive policies, historic tree-lined neighborhoods, and independent businesses. We are proud to be a workforce of almost 200 full-time and part-time employees that are as diverse as the community we serve. We strive to maintain excellent customer service and responsiveness to our residents and everyone we work with. It is with this in mind that we seek to improve by championing quality and efficiency through a dedicated workforce and cooperative spirit.