The City of Norfolk is seeking a Business Manager to join an exciting opportunity with the new Department of Housing and Community Development.
The Department of Housing and Community Development oversees a variety of housing and community development programs and services for those who wish to be a part of the City of Norfolk's vibrant communities. The department seeks to provide opportunities for City of Norfolk residents to live in safe, quality, affordable housing by developing, preserving, and revitalizing communities through responsible and transparent processes. Join us as we work to build great neighborhoods.
The Business Manager will coordinate all aspects of the division's financial management, prepare and monitor the expenditure and revenue budget, accounts payable and receivables, and oversee the daily business operations to include staff supervision, procurement, administrative functions, and payroll management. Work requires the exercise of considerable initiative and independent analytical and evaluative judgment.
Essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Prepares and monitors the departmental and/or capital improvement budget by assembling the budget for submittal, managing expenditures and revenues, establishing reviews of accounting systems and financial procedures, recommending productivity improvements, ensuring operational ability, performing statistical analysis, preparing reports, participating in strategy sessions to discuss contracts and budgetary matters, inputting data into the system, compiling data and entering revenue projections and past expenditures onto spreadsheets, processing budget transfers received from team leaders, verifying the accuracy of reports, formulating grant applications and legal agreements, creating requests for proposals and other procurement activities and providing technical assistance to bureau managers on budgetary matters, policies and procedures and regulations.
- Manages operations and departmental activities by planning and organizing projects, advising personnel on policies and procedures, administering procurement activity, evaluating operational requirements for effectiveness, making recommendations for and coordinating technological needs, implementing new procedures, preparing work assignments, approving leaves and absences, meeting with vendors and attending meetings.
- Directs and supports staff by prioritizing and assigning work, evaluating, training and interviewing employees, processing payroll, assisting supervisors with problem resolution, consulting with Human Resources regarding recruitment, the performance appraisal process, benefits and training and coordinating the appraisal processes and benefits, and disciplinary actions.
- Performs administrative duties by conducting research, preparing reports, recommendations and correspondence, preparing, maintaining and processing personnel records, assisting with open enrollment, making travel arrangements, coordinating training and conferences, reviewing work orders, maintaining and updating financial records of expenditures and distributing checks.
- Coordinates marketing activities by developing and producing marketing material, assisting with logistical and written arrangements, assisting with special events, facilitating marketing promotions, developing project-specific language for legal agreements, monitoring contracts for compliance, fielding research inquiries, preparing written responses, serving as a liaison for various projects and meeting with industry representatives to discuss promotions and events.
- Monitors purchasing functions and collects workload study data by performing internal audits, entering payments into the computer system, communicating with vendors, processing checks, preparing purchase requisitions, monitoring approvals for documents, documenting checks issued to employees, troubleshooting problems with the computer system, collecting monthly workload data, compiling worksheets and submitting data to the state for personnel requirements.
- Performs related duties by organizing special projects, participating on committees, managing the computerized bankruptcy program, managing the annual voice and data charge outs, preparing and maintaining lease and purchase certificates and completing other tasks as requested. Analyzing and recommending rates for various programs and services.
- Writes, submits and monitors grant activity including special grants.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work requires broad knowledge in a general professional or technical field. Knowledge is normally acquired through four years of college resulting in a Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
Three years experience in a supervisory position.
The preferred candidate will possess:
Experience with using financial software, including Advantage Financial Management System.
Experience with public procurement and contract management.
Strong project management skills.
Additional Information & Requirements
Work Hours: 8:30 am to 5:00 pm