The purpose of this classification is to perform semi-skilled to skilled work in the maintenance and repair of specialized machinery and equipment in a water or wastewater treatment plant. Employees in this classification repair pumps and machinery; repair pneumatic equipment; recommend needed repairs; weld and fabricate parts; make electrical and plumbing repairs; and inspect safety equipment.
The following duties are representative of this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Installs and repairs mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic equipment; makes minor repairs to electrical/electronic equipment; recommends needed major repairs to supervisor; makes plumbing repairs.
- Performs and tracks preventative maintenance on plant equipment; ensures all plant equipment are in proper working order.
- Inspects and ensures proper working safety equipment before use.
- Operates a welder, drills, press drill, cutting torch, hand tools, electrical multimeter, mechanics’ tools, pickaxe, shovel, carpenters’ tools, crane, or other equipment as necessary to complete essential functions.
- Serves on call, always, for emergencies.
- May assist other maintenance technicians in their duties during staff shortages or emergencies.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Must possess, or have the ability to possess within 1 year, a North Carolina Class I Maintenance Technologist Certification.
Licensure, Certification, and Specialized Training:
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Physically able to perform semi-skilled to skilled work in the maintenance and repair of specialized machinery and equipment in a water treatment plant and in other Town facilities.
- Exert up to 150 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 75 pounds of force frequently, and/or 25 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Climb, reach, crawl, bend, stoop, etc. in the performance of job duties. Physical demand requirements are those for Medium Work to Heavy Work.
- Occasional exposure to adverse environmental conditions, including temperature extremes, wetness/humidity, rain, machinery hazards, uneven terrain, skin irritants, toxic agents, dirt, dust, pollen, odors, electrical currents, unusual noise levels, etc.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs if they believe they are unable to perform every task on a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. The town will consider any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education, and experience to meet minimum qualifications. A competitive benefits package is provided.
The Town of Hillsborough is a drug and alcohol free workplace. A pre-employment drug test will be conducted. This position is designated as a safety-sensitive position, and is subject to random drug testing.