Under general supervision, this position provides advanced analytical, communication and coordination services to include executive level duties for the City Manager's Office.
Examples of Duties
• Conducts a variety of research and studies similar organizations in an effort to promote and achieve organizational efficiency and effectiveness.
• Links and blends data sources internal and external to City government and conducts rigorous quantitative data analysis to support and improve performance management, decision making, partnership effectiveness and public engagement across a wide range of complex policy areas.
• Assists with consultation with senior departmental managers; provides recommendations regarding organizational structure, feasibility, and the potential impact of varying courses of action that align interdepartmental program elements with City-wide goals.
• Participates in budget process with designated staff; analyzes information for management reports; ensures the costs are accurately reflected by reconciliation and maintenance of source materials.
• Assists with preparation of a variety of materials to disseminate program and policy information on a departmental or citywide basis on behalf of senior management.
• Assists with organizing and serving on committees or teams for special events or projects which may involve City departments, agencies, and citizen representatives. Serves as a liaison to local agencies, professional boards, task force groups, churches and non-profit organizations in order to establish effective working relationships as required; responds to citizen inquiries and complaints and makes appropriate referrals.
• Assists in the implementation of re-engineering projects.
• Serves as assistant systems administrator in the management and oversight of the Division's budget software.
• Assists in the development of quantitative analytical tools to support City initiatives and priorities.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Public Policy, Business Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance or related field of study; Master's Degree in Public Policy, Public Administration or related field preferred. Requires a minimum of two years of experience in conducting research and performing analysis of data by a variety of methods and techniques, preferably in a municipal environment. Ability to perform complex quantitative analyses, including statistical analysis and forecasting using a variety of tools and techniques is required. Basic knowledge of municipal organizations and operations and related familiarity with state, federal and other local agencies and organizations is preferred. Ability to review and analyze legal documents such as City, State and Federal laws and regulations as well as other legal documents such as contracts is preferred. Expert knowledge of Excel with experience in using functions such as Vlookups, linear regressions, if/then statements, building pivot tables, and conditional formatting. Should possess the ability to administer business systems and develop system reports. A skill-based demonstration relevant to the requirements of this position will be required.
Must have the ability to develop and maintain cooperative and professional relationships with employees and all levels of management to include representatives from other departments and organizations. Must have the ability to plan, organize, and manage resources to bring about the successful completion of specific project goals and objectives. Must be able to manage multiples projects concurrently. Requires the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relations with co-workers and a variety of internal and external customers; ability to foster effective public relations and work effectively with diverse groups. Must possess a valid motor vehicle operator's license and possess and maintain a satisfactory driving record based on the City's criteria. An acceptable combination of experience and education may be considered in lieu of the specific requirements above. Any person under consideration for this position will be required to successfully complete a Virginia Criminal History Background Check.
Performs duties under the general supervision of the Director of Budget and Strategic Initiatives or designee. May be given work assignments by the City Manager or designee. Requires independent judgment and decision-making skills. Must be able to work harmoniously with various members of the City Manager's staff, Department Heads, and various other stakeholders. Requires tact and diplomacy. Requires the ability to function as a team member and work cooperatively and collaboratively to meet deadlines. Must effectively manage moderate to high levels of stress. Requires some duties be performed outside of normal working hours to include evenings and weekends; work outside normal of working hours may be extensive during the City's budget cycle. This is an exempt position.