The City of Takoma Park is seeking its next Director of Information Technology, to provide oversight and direction in the planning and implementation of technology solutions. The incumbent will use their expertise to build the municipal infrastructure, support department needs, acquire technology, and train staff or other end-users. This is a critical position as the City continues to streamline City processes, build software functionality and enhance software systems in multiple departments, and strengthen network security.
Typical Duties Include:
- Developing strategic plans for implementing new technologies City wide;
- Coordinating with department directors to identify infrastructure needs and software challenges;
- Managing and administering the City’s technology steering committee and investment process;
- Managing the IT team, including: hiring, training, evaluating performance, establishing work plans and providing progressive discipline, if necessary;
- Developing department budget recommendations, managing approved funds, and assisting other departments with the IT related budget items;
- Developing policies and procedures related to the use of IT systems and infrastructure;
- Ensuring that network infrastructure components are secure and functioning as designed; implements disaster recovery and back-up procedures;
- Managing the recording and resolution of technical support calls and tickets for service and support;
- Creating and monitoring security access for staff computer accounts on City systems;
- Managing technology-related capital projects;
- Managing the City’s Employee Cell Phone Program;
- Providing training for City-wide staff;
- Monitoring the operation of security cameras;
- Managing the work of contractors and vendors who provide IT-related services;
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications include:
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in Information Technology, or another relevant field; or
- Any combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job, generally considered to be 5-7 years of relevant experience.
- Valid driver’s license
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities required to be successful are:
- Knowledge of information technology network infrastructure management, technical support services, information technology security, email system management, hardware and software installation, and budget principles;
- Management and support of a secure MS Windows network environment;
- Knowledge of CISCO/Meraki switching and routing;
- Knowledge of virtualization technologies such as VMware;
- Working knowledge of Active Directory, Group Policy, and security hardening.
- Working knowledge of Local Area Network (LAN) and Wide Area Network (WAN) technologies and data backup technologies.
- Management of file servers, firewalls, network access, Security Monitoring Systems and system documentation as required.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate and assess existing technologies and infrastructure and make recommendations for improvement;
Development and implementation of an IT strategic plan;
- Experience with use and administration of G Suite / Google Workspace environment
The annualized salary for this position is expected to be between between $108,075 and $126,448 and will be offered at a level consistent with the experience and qualifications of the candidate. We offer a highly competitive benefits package, including 100% paid premiums of medical, dental, and vision insurance for employee only coverage, and 80% paid premiums for dependents.
A first review of resumes is expected to begin on July 5th, but the position is open until filled.
The City of Takoma Park is a small jurisdiction in Montgomery County, Maryland bordering the District of Columbia and Prince George’s County. Inhabited by a diverse and politically active population of 17,000 residents, Takoma Park is known for its progressive policies, historic tree-lined neighborhoods, and independent businesses. We are proud to be a workforce of almost 200 full-time and part-time employees that are as diverse as the community we serve. We strive to maintain excellent customer service and responsiveness to our residents and everyone we work with. It is with this in mind that we seek to improve by championing quality and efficiency through a dedicated workforce and cooperative spirit.
The City of Takoma Park is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strive to be a diverse workforce that is representative of the residents we serve and the area in which we live. We are dedicated to creating an inclusive environment where employees of diverse backgrounds can thrive and make a positive impact in the services we provide.