The City of Naperville’s Transportation, Engineering and Development Business Group (TED) seeks an Engineering Manager/Deputy City Engineer to provide the Naperville community with high quality civil engineering services through leadership and supervision of the Engineering and Inspection teams. Areas of focus include street maintenance, implementation of capital improvement projects, stormwater, and development review and coordination. This position reports to the Director/City Engineer.
The Engineering Manager/Deputy City Engineer is responsible for:
· Providing leadership and supervision to departmental employees, including other supervisors. The position directly supervises seven staff members and indirectly supervises other department employees.
· Working collaboratively with all teams in the Transportation, Engineering and Development Business Group to achieve common goals and provide transparent customer service.
· Providing excellent customer-focused, results-oriented services. Resolving problems and issues arising from department processes and responding to public concerns and inquiries.
· Establishing and managing priorities and balancing resources to ensure that teams’ workloads provide for the timely completion of deliverables.
· Communicating and coordinating with residents, businesses, other City departments and various governmental agencies.
· While managing their own work, overseeing projects assigned to teams.
· Guiding and managing the work of consultants and contractors.
· Providing support to the City Council and City boards and commissions.
· Preparing detailed management and operational reports on teams’ activities.
· Assisting in the preparation, administration and monitoring of the annual operating and capital budget.
· Evaluating employee performance and resolving personnel matters.
At a minimum, applicants for Engineering Manager/Deputy City Engineer must possess:
· Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or a closely related engineering field
· Professional Engineer license from the State of Illinois
· Five or more years of progressive experience in municipal engineering or a related field
· Valid State of Illinois Class D drivers’ license
· Experience in roadway maintenance programs, capital improvement programs, stormwater and land development review
Preferred candidates will possess:
· Skills in personnel selection, management, and in coaching and guiding professional office and field staff.
· Skills in effective oral and written communications.
· Knowledge of municipal budgeting procedures.
· Ability to plan, organize, supervise and manage major engineering programs and engineering studies and to prepare major complex reports to the City Council.
The City of Naperville, Illinois is a dynamic community of 148,000 residents, conveniently located 28 miles west of Chicago. Various publications have named Naperville as one of the best cities in the United States in which to live. The City has gained national recognition for our family-friendly environment, excellent schools and library system, low crime rate, and vibrant downtown area. It’s also a great place to work! Our municipal government employs over 900 dedicated individuals in a wide range of job categories and provides a dynamic & collaborative working environment, a forward-looking leadership team, and a competitive benefits package.
APPLY ON-LINE AT:
THE CITY OF NAPERVILLE IS AN E. O. E.
CLICK HERE for the City of Naperville’s EEOP Utilization Report
The City of Naperville complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Individuals needing accommodations in the recruitment process should notify Human Resources in advance at (630) 305-7066.