How to Apply
You MUST apply at https://bit.ly/2Zah5jl by midnight EST on December 10, 2021 to be considered.
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
Don't take our word for it. Read what our people are saying at https://bit.ly/NCDOTGreatPlaceToWork. We are the highest rated state agency for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor with 200+ reviews.
We are looking for an experienced engineer to join the NCDOT Utilities team in our Raleigh headquarters.
In this role you will
- Provide guidance and support interpreting and applying NCDOT utility encroachment policies and procedures.
- Review utility encroachment requests for compliance with sound engineering principles and NCDOT standards, specifications, and policies.
- Use your civil engineering expertise for utilities permitting and construction on state highway rights-of way.
- Evaluate and review utility encroachment requests involving controlled-access rights-of-way, attachment to highway structures, and other requests requiring NCDOT Central Office review.
- Coordinate reviews of utility encroachment requests with utility owners, private engineering firms, Division and District Offices, and other associated state units.
- Provide technical expertise and collaborate with NCDOT staff, private engineering firms, municipalities, and utility owners to solve problems associated with specific encroachment requests.
- Draft encroachment approval documents including project-specific special provisions necessary to ensure the safe, compliant installation of proposed utility facilities.
- Make critical recommendations on proposed utility installation.
- Represent the State Encroachment Engineer and State Utilities Manager in presenting decisions.
- Advise internal and external encroachment process participants on the interpretation and application of NCDOT encroachment policies/specifications and use of the NCDOT Online Permitting System.
- Perform technical analysis and verify design conformance with NCDOT policies, requirements, and standards.
- Maintain detailed and organized documents, files, and records while managing multiple projects.
- Provide direction and support for GIS tasks related to processing utility encroachments.
What You Bring
- Proven work experience as a project engineer/manager.
- Experience reviewing engineering plans for completeness, constructability, and compliance with policies.
- General engineering principal skills related to construction/design of utilities found in the right of way.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to convey general engineering principals to a variety of stakeholders.
- Experience with NCDOT encroachment policies and encroachment processes.
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office, ESRI ArcGIS, and spatial analysis techniques.
- Ability to evaluate/approve/manage moderately-complex program/project specifications for completeness, compatibility, and compliance with engineering principles, standards, codes, and design needs.
- Skills to perform inspections/audits to ensure that proper procedures are followed.
- Experience to identify and solve project/program changes, make recommendations and decisions on non-routine engineering/program matters, or other areas requiring technical engineering expertise.
- Consulting skills to work with clients and other stakeholders on specific programs/projects.
- Ability to develop/create informational products, manage program/project plans, and develop/implement short-term strategies.
- We may require registration as a professional engineer by the NC Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors.
Education & Experience
- Bachelors Degree in engineering and
- 3+ years of relevant experience, or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Call me: Yolanda Cooper at (919) 707-7194.
Connect to NCDOT Careers at
See all NCDOT jobs at: https://bit.ly/ncdotjobs