In order to be consider for this position applicants must apply online by March 2nd, 2022 at the City’s of San Antonio’s Career Center. For more information on how to apply please visit the sites below:
Management Fellow Job Application: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sanantoniotx/jobs/3283374/management-fellow
City of San Antonio Career Center: https://www.sanantonio.gov/hr/CareerCenter
Under general direction, performs budget and program analysis, field studies, and researching projects pertaining to the City of San Antonio. This is a 12+ month program with each fellow spending several months in the City Manager's Office, the Office of Management & Budget, and one operating department. This program is scheduled to begin during the Summer 2022. Working conditions are in an office environment. Exercises no supervision.
This unique position is designed to recruit top talent and help develop future leaders for the City of San Antonio. During your time as a Management Fellow, you will spend one (1) year rotating through the City's Budget Office, the City Manager's Office, and a select operating department. This position provides unique access to the leaders of the City of San Antonio and is an excellent opportunity to learn about every facet of a complex municipal operation.
More importantly, you will be given important tasks and projects that develop your skills and make a difference to the City organization and the community at large.
This position is an "unclassified" position and has no disciplinary appeal rights to the Municipal Civil Service Commission. This position is likewise subject to at-will employment status and can be terminated at any time for any reason.
Essential Job Functions
- Conducts budget and program analysis, organizational and administrative field studies, and statistical analysis of research data.
- Analyzes, researches, and monitors various financial and management reports.
- May handle phone inquiries regarding information concerning various programs from other departments.
- May be asked to attend or serve on various administrative and citizen committee meetings and City subcommittee meetings.
- Monitors work processes of assigned departments to improve operations, while providing value added customer service.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with preferable coursework in Business, Public Administration or a related field.
- This position requires a valid Class "C" Texas Driver's License or the ability to obtain a valid Class "C" Texas Driver's License within thirty (30) days after becoming a resident of the State of Texas. Use of your own personal vehicle may at time be required and proof of Liability Insurance will be required.
- No substitution for education allowed.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: The following items must be attached to your on line application:
- Current Resume and Cover Letter.
- Two work or education-related written recommendations.
- Previous experience in local government.
- Master's Degree in Public Administration or related field strongly preferred.
- Please be advised that if selected for this position, information regarding employment history as it relates to the qualifications of the position will be needed for employment verification. Applicants claiming military service to meet the experience requirement for this position may attach a DD214 to the application.
- Unless otherwise stated, applicants are permitted to substitute two years of related full-time experience for one year of higher education or one year of related higher education for two years of experience in order to meet the minimum requirements of the job. One year of full-time experience is defined as 30 or more hours worked per week for 12 months. One year of higher education is defined as 30 credit hours completed at an accredited college or university.
- Applicants selected for employment with the City of San Antonio in this position must receive satisfactory results from pre-employment drug testing and background checks. If required for the position, a physical, motor vehicle record evaluation, and additional background checks may be conducted.
- If selected for this position, official transcripts, diplomas, certifications, and licenses must be submitted at the time of processing. Unofficial transcripts and copies of other relevant documents may be attached to the application for consideration in advance.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles, methods, and practices of public administration, municipal finance, budgeting, accounting, and research techniques.
- Knowledge of computer software and hardware applications.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard and other basic office equipment.
- Ability to communicate by phone or in person in one-to-one or group settings.
- Ability to analyze and recommend solutions to management and organizational problems.
- Ability to assist in the preparation of budgets and accounting systems.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other City employees, elected officials, agents or other governmental entities and the general public.