Get in on the ground floor of a city growing every day! In 2018, a study done by WalletHub.com, Greeley topped the list of 2018's Fastest-Growing Cities in America in jobs and economy. In 2017, 24/7 Wall St.com ranked Greeley as one of 25 happiest cities in the America. Greeley is home to the University of Northern Colorado, Downtown Greeley Friday Fest, the Greeley Stampede, a booming craft brewing scene, and the Colorado Model Railroad Museum.
Growth brings opportunity. The City of Greeley is looking for someone who likes a challenge, and wants to be the champion our sales tax audit program. This position will be responsible for the ground floor formation of a new tax audit program, translation of City of Greeley municipal code into sales/use tax audit policy, administering and performing sales/use tax audits, and educating the public on municipal code and sales tax policy.
Apply now and make your mark on an exciting and adventurous time with the City of Greeley!
Experience, Knowledge, Skills
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field from an accredited college or university; equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- 2+ years of auditing experience, with 1 year of sales and use tax audit experience preferred.
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills in dealing with difficult customers.
- Knowledge of accounting principles, practices, and methods.
- High level of accuracy, confidentiality, and attention to detail.
- Data entry skills to include the use of a 10-key calculated by touch.
- Valid driver license with a safe driving record.
- Certified Public Accountant designation is preferred.
- Spanish bi-lingual fluency preferred.
- Audit business accounting records to assure compliance with the City's sales and use tax ordinance, and applicable provisions for collection.
- Conduct investigations of businesses to ensure appropriate licensing, education of taxpayers/tenants regarding sales tax and/or fee requirements, tax and fee return preparation schedules, collecting outstanding tax and fee revenues.
- Respond to inquiries from the public regarding ordinances and assist them on how to interpret these ordinances.
- High level of customer contact, including diffusing upset or irate people either in person or on the telephone.
- Comprehend and interpret City code as it pertains to business licensing.
- Represent the City in sales/use tax audits.
- Schedule, plan, and perform sales/use tax compliance audits; examine taxpayer records at the places of business.
- Determine taxes, interest, and penalties owed; write audit reports detailing and summarizing findings.
- Review audit work papers and represent the City at hearings and appeal proceedings as an expert witness in taxation.
- Ability to use and develop spreadsheets (Excel).
- Interact with the public and city employees in an effective and considerate manner.
- Work independently and within a team environment; ability to work with little supervision.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
- Frequent contact with employees and the public - in person and on the telephone.
- Requires ability to perform multiple tasks at one time with frequent interruptions.
- Extended periods of time at a fixed work station.
- Communication skills enough to convey information to the public via telephone and in person.
- Ability to lift and move up to 25#.
- Operate standard office equipment requiring continuous or repetitive hand/arm movements.
- Vision enough to interpret computer screens and documents to assist the public and complete work assignments;
- Manual dexterity enough to accurately input, retrieve, and verify work assignments.
City of Greeley Address - 1000 10 Street - Greeley, Colorado 80631 - (970-350-9561)