GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
The Data Architect will help define and deploy enterprise data architecture for standardized access, analytics, and business intelligence. The Data Architect will be a central resource for enterprise data and metadata management.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
The Data Architect is an experienced professional working closely with the Assistant Budget Director to provide recommendations for optimized data architecture based on the data storage and retrieval needs for Guilford County and within each department. The ideal candidate will have proven experience with data warehouse design, dimensional modeling, Master Data Management (MDM) and Business Intelligence (BI). A key function of this position will be to advise on best practices for data management – extraction, cleansing, alignment, storage, and governance. The Data Architect will be responsible for constantly monitoring our enterprise data architecture and quickly addressing any issues.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential Duties and Tasks
- Provide insight into the changing data storage and utilization requirements for the county and offer solutions
- Work closely with the Assistant Budget Director to define county-wide data documentation and storage standards
- Analyze database implementation methods to make sure they are in line with county policies, external regulations, and adopted standards
- Create data monitoring models for each product and work with our software and application development teams to create models ahead of new releases
- Develop database design and architecture documentation for executive administration
- Help maintain the integrity and security of county data assets
- Work closely with the Assistant Budget Director to assemble large, complex data sets that meet cross-functional requirements
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and other related technologies
- Work closely with the Assistant Budget Director to define and deploy analytics tools that utilize the enterprise data architecture to provide actionable insights
- Work with cross functional stakeholders to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
IDEAL CHARACTERISTICS OR TRAITS
- Gather and analyze information related to current and future trends and best practices
- Actively seek out thought leaders and strategic influencers
- Think critically to make connections that others miss
- Seek out alternative perspectives
- Gather qualitative data to develop practical empathy
- Constructively challenge prevailing assumptions
- Minimize complexity and increase flexibility throughout the organization
- Help stakeholders overcome resistance to positive change
- Consult with departments on the development of new services, methods, or procedures
- Educate stakeholders on new approaches in an inclusive way to drive buy-in
- Partner effectively to identify opportunities for significant process enhancements
- Recommend organizational changes that strategically add value
- Provide on-going tracking and monitoring for the performance of decision systems
- Set expectations for monitoring and feedback systems to review performance
- Involve peers in the evaluation of organizational strengths and weaknesses
- Anticipate, identify, and define problems
- Seek root causes to avoid symptomatic approaches
- Identify potential consequences and future test your solutions
- Document work in an easy to understand and transferable way
- Communicate in an effective and easy to understand way
- Work with stakeholders to build trust and consensus
- Recognize the importance of diverse perspectives
- Actively promote diverse working groups
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Sound working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases
- Strong analytic skills related to working with structured and unstructured data
- Ability to build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Ability to solve complex data design problems
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Information Systems or another quantitative field with 3 years of experience in a Database Administration and/or Data Architect role OR Associate Degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Information Systems or another quantitative field with 5 years of experience in a Database Administration and/or Data Architect role.
Ability to demonstrate experience in quantitative and qualitative analysis, and/or evaluation of data is desirable. The ideal candidate would also have a firm grasp of R or Python. Relevant experience in government or similar agency preferred but not required.
A skills assessment involving data analytics will be a part of the selection process.