NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Fire Inspector (Fire Department) part-time with an online application deadline of 05/29/2022.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted as applications are received. This position will remain open until filled.
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $29.81 - $33.44 per hour working up to 19 hours per week. Salary dependent on qualifications. The salary range for this position is $29.81 - $44.31.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Bilingual language skills a plus.
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
This position is considered a civil fire prevention officer responsible for the effective enforcement of Village fire and life safety codes and ordinances through inspections of residential, commercial, and industrial properties. Position requires self-discipline, accurate scheduling, spontaneous problem resolution, excellent verbal and written communication skills, provision of expert testimony in courts of law, and working autonomously.
Shall occasionally be required to perform inspections and/or duties as designated, beyond and/or in addition to, the normal work day or work week.
To succeed in this role the ideal candidate will need to effectively and clearly communicate to a full range of people inside and outside the organization both verbally and non-verbally. We are looking to add a team member who has the capability of prioritizing multiple projects and organize time and resources efficiently and have the ability to shift gears comfortably and have the ability to work self-sufficiently on assigned tasks.
1. Responsible for understanding and applying the Village of Schaumburg Code of Ordinances and any adopted codes and ordinances.
2. Performs inspections and fire systems tests of new and existing buildings to ensure compliance with fire and life safety codes.
3. Organizes daily work schedule, and completes designated or scheduled inspections and/or assignments, prior to end of work day.
4. Investigates complaints and performs inspections as required to promote safety and prevent fire hazards. Also responsible for contacting and notifying responsible parties involved, and assisting in resolving all code infractions to ensure compliance with codes and ordinances.
5. Provides technical assistance, correspondence, and/or notices, to the general public, Village personnel, property owners, and contractors.
6. Issues warning notices, tickets and citations as directed, involving violations of the Village of Schaumburg Code of Ordinances, and/or other related Village adopted ordinances and codes. Maintains documentation and appears in court as necessary.
7. Reviews job site plans/drawings for any discrepancy or deviation from Village approved plans/drawings.
8. Utilizes special tools, instruments, equipment, etc. as necessary in fulfilling job duties or assigned tasks, as directed.
9. Attends educational courses and seminars as needed in order to maintain certifications and licenses, or as directed.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Associates Degree in fire science, building technology or closely related field.
2. A minimum of two years of fire prevention or inspection experience.
3. Certification in Fire Inspector I with the International Code Council or ability to obtain within one year date of hire.
4. Experience in a position involving customer service and customer complaint investigation skills.
5. Possession of a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
6. Proficiency with current computer software systems, including email, calendar programs, job specific software, and customer service systems preferred or within the first six months of employment.
General knowledge of the requirements and materials that relate to fire prevention codes, occupancies, egress and safety, and hazardous materials. General knowledge of the requirements for legal enforcement of Village of Schaumburg Code of Ordinances. Ability to effectively enforce the Village of Schaumburg Code of Ordinances and related adopted ordinances. Ability to prepare written reports based on filed complaints and/or inspection results. Ability to maintain files of general information, letters, memorandums, correspondence inspection reports. Ability to investigate, locate, and detect code violations relating to property maintenance and licensing. Ability to communicate and to establish and maintain working relations with residents, property owners, contractors, tradesmen and the general public in a professional manner. Must possess the ability to analyze complex problems to arrive at recommendations. Ability to communicate and to establish and maintain working relations with coworkers. Capable of sound decisions through analytical abilities to resolve complaints, conduct inspection, and ability to make professional judgments when enforcing departmental policies, procedures, and operations.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Capable of climbing ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, stairwells, etc.
2. Capable of stooping, crawling, bending the body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist, bending the body forward and downward by bending leg and spine, moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet, extending arm(s) and hand(s) in any direction; seizing, holding, grasping, turning with hands; picking, pinching, or otherwise working with fingers; maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, running, standing, or crouching.
3. Ability to judge distances so as to see objects where and as they actually are, ability to distinguish objects by the eye, ability to perceive the nature of sounds, ability to feel objects such as size, shape, or texture by the use of fingers and finger tips, ability to distinguish varying degrees of temperatures.
4. Capable of good speech with the ability to speak before audience with poise and well-modulated voice control using the English language.
5. Capable to withstand heights, walk on roofs, maneuver around and/or through obstacles, construction materials, manufactured materials and/or equipment.
6. Capable of operating instruments, tools, and equipment that are job related and/or as directed.
7. Necessity to effectively communicate in written form.
8. Capable of conducting thorough plan/drawing review, interpreting customer requests, proofreading, working with figures, and effectively performing code enforcement and compliance.
9. Lifting and carrying up to 25 pound weights occasionally.
10. Exposure to high levels of noise for extended period.
11. Exposure to extreme temperatures for prolonged periods, and/or abrupt changes to temperatures and weather.
12. Exposure to petroleum products, chemicals, acids, fumes, dust, or disagreeable odors, human, animal or rodent fecal matter, exposure to rodents and/or pests, or inadequate ventilation.
13. Exposure to inclement weather conditions, standing water, mud, concrete placement, obstacles, and construction materials.
Part-Time employees are not eligible for benefits.
Candidate screening process may consist of an application review, skills testing, employability assessment, interviews, reference checks, and other job-related testing or verifications. Chosen candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history investigation, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination and drug screen.
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER