The Financial Reporting & Payroll Manager position is responsible to manage, direct and oversee the financial reporting and payroll functions for the City organization, as part of the Finance Division; evaluate and develop recommendations to improve activities, procedures, policies and programs to enhance and maximize effectiveness and efficiency of organization-wide finance programs and operations; and provide highly complex professional and administrative support to the Finance Director and Executive Management Team.
- Five years of progressively responsible professional experience in accounting, including two years of supervisory or program management experience.
- Experience working for a government agency is preferred. Experience in government accounting or working as a municipal auditor is preferred.
Examples of Duties Performed - Duties may include but are not limited to the following
- Manages, plans, organizes, and directs work in the financial reporting and payroll programs; develops policies, procedures, processes and methods consistent with stated objectives and appropriate laws and professional standards and practices; develops work plans; sets priorities.
- Provides oversight of all financial transactions for the City; establishes and maintains City-wide financial management controls and procedures; provides training to and works with staff in all departments to ensure compliance with financial laws, policies and practices; conducts internal and external audits; maintains, monitors and ensures integrity of organization-wide financial records; manages development and preparation of City-wide financial audits; maintains, researches, analyzes and implements new accounting, and other financial laws, requirements and practices.
- Acts as primary point of contact on payroll topics with City executive and senior management. Works with the Employee Resource Center (ERC) to implement labor contracts and complex pay and benefit settlements. Represents the City with State and Federal Agencies and benefit providers regarding disbursing, reporting and maintaining compliance for employee retirement and deferred compensation benefits and mandatory withholdings. Confers with City Attorney on legal compliance. Provides counsel to department staff on complex payroll issues. Works with the payroll team to resolve payroll system issues as they arise, in coordination with the ERC and Information Services Division (ISD) teams.
- Provides grant coordination, consulting and oversight for City-wide grant activities; ensures systems and procedures are established and followed for compliance with grantor financial tracking requirements.
- Establishes, monitors and provides training on internal control structures for the City organization.
- Conducts, directs, participates in and provides quality review of major projects involving complex models and forecasts; stays current on new developments in professional standards, regulatory requirements, legislative initiatives and industry practices.
- Serves as a member of the Finance Leadership Team; participates in development of division budget, goals, objectives, policies and procedures; may act in the capacity of the Finance Director or Assistant Finance Director in their absence.
- Serves as a member of the Systems team comprised of ERC, Finance, and ISD staff. This team is responsible for overseeing the ongoing support and maintenance of the City’s corporate systems (PeopleSoft) which includes planning annual upgrades and tax updates, addressing production issues, researching and planning for new functionality and additional modules, coordinating year-end processes, both fiscal and calendar year, and working with internal customers on change requests to delivered functionality.
- Responsible for the selection, supervision and evaluation of assigned staff; assigns work and ensures appropriate training is provided; investigates complaints; recommends and administers disciplinary actions; handles sensitive personnel matters and recommends grievance responses; exercises full supervision over employees.
- Acts as consultant on a wide range of financial issues for departments, Executive Managers, and elected and appointed officials; researches, mediates and resolves technical, sensitive and/or controversial inquiries, complaints and concerns; communicates and coordinates with other City program areas to ensure effectiveness of interdepartmental operations and activities; responds to requests for information from elected and appointed officials, the media, the public, and business and community organizations.
- Acts as functional lead to select, implement and maintain automated accounting and payroll systems for the organization; meets and confers with system users, information services staff, consultants and others on the implementation and on-going updates and maintenance of accounting and payroll software systems.
- Models respectful working relationships and creates a workplace that supports all employees; supports City leadership in successfully responding to the changing needs of a diverse organization and the commitment to equity and human rights.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level as required by management to meet the needs of the division.
THIS POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED
The first review of applications will take place:
Monday, April 18, 2022 at 5:00 pm PDT
Applications will be reviewed weekly after this date.
ONLINE APPLICATIONS ONLY