It's a great time to be in Pflugerville!
The City of Pflugerville is seeking its next Communications Director to join our team! The person we seek will believe in and exhibit the City's P.F.I.R.S.T. core values: Positive, Forward-thinking, Integrity, Resilience, Service, and Teamwork.
City of Pflugerville employees enjoy three (3) weeks of paid vacation along with 14 paid holidays a year, an attractive retirement plan where the City puts in 2 dollars for every 1 dollar you put into retirement, and the possibility to work from home!
As a Communications Director for the City, you will be establishing, managing, and implementing effective communications and public involvement strategies to provide timely, accurate, and understandable information to the community.
Essential duties and responsibilities include:
- Supervise communications division and oversee the coordination of messages via Pf Connect communications channels including the city website, social media accounts, video, and special events.
- Continuously evaluate the effectiveness of communications campaigns and coordinate ongoing city messaging with clear information to the public.
- Advise the Mayor, City Council, and top management staff on communications strategies, policies, procedures, and issues.
- Coordinate implementation of the city's communications plan and link communications initiatives to the City Council's Strategic Plan and goals.
- Develop, facilitate, and assist with implementing strategic approaches to emerging issues.
- Oversee the coordination of design, production, and distribution of city publications to heighten awareness of city services, programs, and initiatives ensuring all materials follow city branding and key messaging.
- Assist other departments with communications strategies. In an emergency, serves in Emergency Operations Center and provides emergency message support.
- Manage and coordinate cable access channel content, including public service announcement notices, Pflugerville Pfocus scripts and filming, and promotional videos.
- Serves on county-wide communications teams to assist with Travis and Williamson County regional communications efforts.
- Attend, represent and/or coordinate with the CM/ACM at community functions, open houses, community meetings, civic organizations, and governmental groups; prepare and present presentations regarding city programs.
- Work with CM/ACMs, staff, and City Council on communication strategies such as coordinating plans, writing columns, letters, speeches, and communication programs.
Qualifications and Skill Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree in Public Relations, Communications, and/or related field. A Master's degree in Communications, Public Administration, or a similar field is preferred.
- 7+ years of progressively responsible experience in communications; 5+ years of experience in a writing-intensive position, 5+ years of supervisory experience, preferably in government or related function. Demonstrated experience in working with print, broadcast, and internet-based media is required.
- Certified Public Communicator is preferred.
- Flexible scheduling and the opportunity to work from home.
- 10 hours of vacation leave per month, 3 weeks per year.
- 8 hours of sick leave per month, 12 days per year.
- Sick leave incentive pay- Employees are compensated in December each year in the amount of 25% of their unused sick leave that they have accumulated during the preceding fiscal year.
- Medical insurance and benefits are provided at zero premium cost to the employee.
- 50% dependent health benefits premium contribution.
- Dental benefits are provided at zero premium cost to the employee.
- 24 hours of paid personal holiday leave each fiscal year.
- 10 wellness hours each fiscal year for eligible preventive and mental health services.
- Longevity pay of $8 per month beginning with the first anniversary and will be paid on a separate paycheck in December of each year.
- Retirement plan includes a 7% contribution of an employee's gross salary to the Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS) with a City contribution match of 2 to 1 (14%) at retirement.
- Retirement eligibility requires 5 years of service at age 60 or 20 years of service at any age.
- Employees also have an additional retirement fund option to participate in a 457 plan.
- Long-Term Disability is employer-paid and covers 60% of the employee's salary up to $7,500.
- Military leave provides up to 15 days of paid leave per fiscal year for eligible employees.
- Education reimbursement assistance up to $2,000 per fiscal year.
- Employer-paid basic term life insurance policy two (2) times an employee's base salary, up to $325,000 maximum.
- 40 paid service hours are available to volunteer within our community.
- Up to 160 hours of paid parental leave to eligible employees following the birth of an employee's child or the placement of a child with an employee in connection with adoption, foster care, or other legal placement to care for and bond with the child.
For more details about the benefits offered by the City please visit https://www.pflugervilletx.gov/city-government/people-and-culture/benefits.
If you are someone interested in making a difference in the community and wish to be a part of the Pflugerville team, go to pflugervilletx.gov under Employment Opportunities and apply today!