An employee in this position performs managerial and specialized skilled work in directing and coordinating the daily operations of the Public Works Department and the city’s environmental and sustainability programs. Work involves developing programs and policies and directing the day-to-day operations of department; supervising employees on scheduled and unscheduled tasks.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
· Assists in management responsibilities for assigned services and activities of the Public Works Department.
- Supervises City personnel who perform tasks related to assigned projects; instructs, assigns, reviews, and plans the work of others; monitors and reports work performance; identifies and acquires needed tools and equipment; allocates personnel resources.
- Directs, manages, and monitors (daily) operations of environmental division; facilitates and fosters team and organizational development; advises and directs subordinate managers; reallocates collection resources and service priorities as needed to meet departmental priorities and objectives; meets with leadership and management staff to identify and resolve organizational issues; assigns projects and areas of responsibility; and reviews and evaluates work methods, processes and procedures.
- Prepares, analyzes, reviews, approves and recommends policies, administrative and operational procedures, management reports, correspondence, ordinances, resolutions, agreements, and high-level communications; assists in planning, updating and analyzing solid waste management plans and emergency management plans;
- Provides progress reports and deliver presentations/trainings to management and stakeholders as needed.
Establishes milestones and monitors adherence to program plans and schedules, identifies program problems and obtains solutions, such as allocation of resources or changing contractual specifications.
Develops strategies and tactics when needed to ensure effective program performance relative to market opportunity;
- Analyze program implementation results and stakeholder feedback to strategize about the evolution of program design, outreach and implementation activities Performs related administrative tasks; receives and reviews various forms and documents including work request, invoices, and personnel documents; prepares various reports and forms including work assignments, project quotes, estimates and related correspondence; orders materials necessary to complete project tasks including asphalt and concrete.
- Attends various meetings to provide input and recommendations.
- Approves, recommends and resolves customer complaints, new services, service delivery changes, equipment usage and assignment, and overtime when necessary to accomplish effective service delivery; directly and indirectly provides written and verbal resolution to sensitive inquiries and complaints from both internal and external sources; and represents the department with regard to complaints, programs, policies, procedures, actions, projects and activities.
- Supervises and participates in the development and implementation of short-range planning including: reviewing and evaluating work projects, methods, and procedures, as well as forecasting needed staff, equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Reviews, investigates and recommends corrective and/or disciplinary action occasioned by violation of department operating and/or safety policies, procedures, rules, guidelines and practices; selects, assigns, trains, develops and evaluates subordinate staff and employees; and assists in development and administration of business processes, service level agreements, resolutions and ordinances.
- Attends and participates in professional group meetings; stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of public works.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Requires a bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Sustainability, Public Administration, or a closely related field. Master’s Degree in Public Administration (MPA) preferred. Must have at least five (5) years of progressive supervisory experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Licenses or Certifications:
Must have or be able to obtain Lean Six Sigma, or Project Management Professional certification.
Must have a valid State Driver’s License.
Special Requirements: None
E-mail a completed application for employment or your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, "Environmental Division Manager"
Link to post on City's website