VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG
Human Resources Department
101 Schaumburg Court, Schaumburg, IL 60193
The Village of Schaumburg is a thriving community of 78,732 residents located 12 miles west of O’Hare International Airport and approximately 26 miles northwest of Chicago. Not only is Schaumburg the twelfth-largest community in the State of Illinois, but it is also home to the second-largest concentration of retail, office, and commercial activity. Notable village distinctions include being named one of the "Top Ten Best Places to Live" by Money Magazine; being ranked No. 5 overall in WalletHub's "Best Illinois Cities for Jobs"; and receiving the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award from the Government Finance Officers Association for meeting the highest principles of governmental budgeting for the seventh consecutive year.
The village employs approximately 600 employees in 12 departments, including police, fire, engineering and public works, communications, community development, cultural services, economic development, finance, general government, human resources, information technology, and transportation. Our employees work to serve the residents and strive to make Schaumburg the best community it can be.
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Superintendent - Field Services (Engineering & Public Works) with an online application deadline of 06/05/2022.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted as applications are received. This position will remain open until filled.
SALARY RANGE: $95,578.00 - $138,588.00 annually dependent on qualifications.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Spanish, Polish, and Indian dialects a plus.
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
This position assists in the planning and direction of the routine and emergency operations, maintenance and repair of the Village’s infrastructure systems including streets, signs, lighting, parkways, traffic control, commuter parking facilities, airport, grounds and urban forest. Develops short and medium-range goals for the divisions reporting to them. Participates in making and implementing budget recommendations; supervises village contracts under their areas of responsibility; directs operations for compliance with regulatory agency rules, regulations, and safety requirements; supervises and trains Foremen; responds to emergency conditions including coordinating the department’s snow and ice program. Assumes responsibility for maximizing customer service; promotes the positive image and policies of the department. Work requires considerable professional judgment and initiative within the framework of established regulations and policies.
To succeed in this role the ideal candidate will need to effectively and clearly communicate to a full range of people, be able to work cooperatively and effectively with others, and manage and prioritize multiple projects with thoroughness and accuracy. We are looking to add a team member who has the functional skills to do the job at a high level.
1. Responsible for general oversight of the operation and maintenance of the village’s infrastructure including the Streets and Signs, Landscaping, and and Customer Service Divisions.
2. Investigates, evaluates, and analyzes existing and proposed activities in order to improve Department services, increase job productivity, and lower operational costs. Assists and trains employees in the effective use of facts, data, and objective analysis for use in decision-making and for process improvement. Implements plans for improvement taking into consideration the impact of the changing conditions and makes an accurate assessment of the results.
3. Evaluates the unit’s goals and priorities in relation to those of the organization/institution and redefines as changes occur. Prioritizes and schedules activities and assigns resources to various needs. Demonstrates initiative to proactively track a variety of complex responsibilities and see them through to effective and timely completion
4. Plans, organizes, and prioritizes work in order to perform duties in a timely manner. Identifies the appropriate stakeholders and involves them in the process. Establishes clear objectives and can break larger projects into individual tasks to better plan out the work. Anticipates existing or potential problems, circumstances, activities or events which may/will affect the Department and keeps the Director and/or Assistant Director apprised of them.
5. Provides enhanced interaction between management and employees through regular contact with Division Foremen and employees. Promotes and demonstrates a high level of involvement with team members in the development of team goals. Plans and conducts regular meetings with employees within the divisions to ensure open and up to date communication.
6. Works with the Division Foremen to establish and communicate clear and meaningful performance standards and expectations to employees. Gives appropriate feedback to employees regarding work strengths and accomplishments as well as areas to be improved.
7. Supervises and evaluates performance of the Foremen under their supervision and reviews evaluations made by Foremen of their subordinates. Identifies and addresses performance problems directly and appropriately. Takes prompt appropriate corrective action, provides staff development as needed and follows through in resolving the problems.
8. Assists in the analysis of the village’s infrastructure and makes recommendations to the Director and Assistant Director regarding improvements and maintenance that should be addressed.
9. Assists the Assistant Director and/or Director in the preparation and administration of the operating budgets including materials and supplies; participates in recommending and justifying new manpower.
10. Thorough knowledge of the Department’s Standard Operating Procedures and Safety Practices; ensures that all procedures/practices are followed. Acts as a role model in following the organization’s policies and procedures, employee manual and labor contracts.
11. Coordinates an effective training schedule of subordinates in work practices, proper equipment operation and maintenance, and safety issues in the workplace. Proactively and collaboratively identifies areas for employees' development and seeks opportunities to empower staff to achieve their fullest potential.
12. Communicates with residents and other customers to resolve service disputes and provides the highest quality of service in an impartial manner within the policies and framework established by the Village; works with all levels of employees within the organization; always represents the Department and Village in a friendly, courteous, and professional manner.
13. Prepares and occasionally presents agenda items for the Engineering and Public Works Committee, Village Board and any other committee as assigned.
14. In cases of emergency, performs responsible duties in the planning and execution of emergency operations. Participates in emergency task groups to assist in developing the unit's emergency and safety procedures.
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s degree in public administration, civil engineering, or closely related field preffered. If candidate does not possess a Bachelor's Degree at time of hire, they must obtain it within five years of employment/promotion under the Tuition Reimbursment Program.
2. A minimum of five years of experience in a Public Works Department or related industry with a thorough knowledge of skilled maintenance and construction work.
3. A minimum of three years of supervisory experience coordinating a range of activities undertaken by others that involve directing, monitoring, and evaluating performance of staff in a lead capacity.
4. Demonstrated training and experience in operating a municipal snow and ice control program.
5. Possession of a valid driver’s license.
6. Proficiency with current computer software systems, including email, calendar programs, job specific software, and customer service systems preferred or within the first six months of employment.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Subject to high levels of noise for an extended period of time.
2. Subject to extremes of temperature for prolonged periods of time or abrupt changes in temperature.
3. Subject to fumes or disagreeable odors.
4. Subject to exposure to inclement weather conditions.
5. Subject to extended periods of isolation.
6. Subject to working in wet, dirty, dusty, hot, humid or cold conditions in high vehicle traffic areas.
7. Frequent contact with the public; must be able to effectively communicate verbally and demonstrate exceptional customer relations.
8. Frequently completes written technical forms; must be able to effectively communicate in writing.
9. Prolonged periods of concentration such as proofreading, preparing contract documents, reviewing plans, blueprints, as-builts, etc.
10. Frequent and/or prolonged bending, stooping, or reaching.
11. Ability to lift up to 75 pounds on an infrequent basis.
12. Subject to frequently changing walking surfaces.
13. Ability to supervise and coordinate the work of others, including private contractors hired by the Village.
14. Subject to working on an infrequent basis for extended periods of time; 12 hours normally and 18 hours infrequently for several consecutive days.
The Village of Schaumburg has a competitive benefit package which includes: flexible benefit Section 125 plan including health, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts, a retirement plan through the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, paid holidays, paid vacation, sick leave, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Candidate screening process may consist of an application review, skills testing, employability assessment, interviews, reference checks, and other job-related testing or verifications. Chosen candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history investigation, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination and drug screen.
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER