How to Apply
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
We are the highest rated state agency for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor with 200+ reviews.
We are looking for a Senior Freeway Operations Engineer to join our Traffic Operations team delivering real-time, statewide management of freeway operations and coordinating closely with our statewide Traveler Information, Traffic Incident Management, Traffic Operations Planning and Design, ITS Operations, and Signal Systems Operations programs.
NCDOT's Traffic Operations Group manages all freeway traffic operations in the Traffic Systems Operations Section/ Transportation Systems Management and Operations (TSMO) Unit / Transportation Mobility and Safety Division (TMSD) team.
In this role you will:
- Manage the daily operations of our Statewide Transportations Operations Center (STOC) and lead the implementation of our innovative TSMO strategies, standard operating procedures (SOPs), and real-time construction activities impacting statewide freeway mobility.
- Serve as a resource for NCDOT Divisions to support Freeway Operations initiatives, promote corridor optimization strategies, and educate about TSMO.
- Support the development of performance metrics to encourage data-driven decision making.
- Implement freeway operations projects, such as Integrated Corridor Management, ramp meters, and managed freeways.
- Coordinate and collaborate with diverse stakeholder groups.
- Develop and manage large consultant/service contracts with multiple staff and deliverables.
What You Bring
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to craft and deliver presentations, public speaking engagements, reports, and other written communications.
- Freeway Operations knowledge, especially related to the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), work zone traffic control, traffic incident management, traffic operations, and traffic engineering.
- Experience managing large contracts and supervising contractors and consultants.
- Organizational knowledge of NCDOT and the traffic engineering industry, and the demonstrated ability to work with NCDOT staff, municipalities, private engineering firms, and contractors.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in traffic engineering and traffic operations concepts, practices, and theories.
- Excellent customer service skills to resolve challenges requiring explaining engineering concepts to various customer groups.
- You excel in a team environment where you can assume program/project responsibilities.
- With a valid Driver’s License.
- Registered as a professional engineer by the NC Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors.
- You will travel statewide and sometimes nationally.
- Participation in Emergency Operations Center (EOC) activations is required for the role.
- You will need to be accessible at nights and weekends during emergencies.
- You may be required to register as a professional engineer by the NC Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, and
- 4+ years of relevant experience; or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Call me: Leslie Johnson at (919) 814-5031.
Connect to NCDOT Careers on