NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Secretary (Engineering & Public Works) with an online application deadline of 07/24/2022.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted as applications are received. This position will remain open until filled.
STARTING PAY RATE: $20.98 - $23.53 per hour based on a 35-hour workweek. Salary dependent on qualifications. The salary range for this position is $20.98 - $31.18 This position is represented by a union; you may refer to the AFSCME collective bargaining agreement available on our website.
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
This position performs clerical work to include but not limited to typing, public relations, coordinating work activities and daily administrative activities. This position performs a wide range of purchasing and accounting duties required to maintain a centralized purchasing system including accounts payable and the procurement card program.
To succeed in this role, applicants will need to problem solve efficiently, organize time and resources effectively, prioritize tasks and responsibilities with accuracy, and concentrate efforts on the more important priorities. We are looking to add a team member capable of managing and prioritizing multiple projects with thoroughness and accuracy.
1. Enters, tracks, and coordinates purchases for budget accounts. Reviews invoices for accuracy, obtains receiving information, and processes for payment. Reviews requisitions for completeness, accuracy, and authorization prior to processing. Resolves purchasing and/or payment issues. Ensures proper adjustments for returned items. Negotiates payment adjustments. Reviews open purchase orders with vendor for status of order. Assists division/department in preparation of division/department's fiscal year budget; monitors expenditures of department in comparison with actual allotments; informs supervisor of possible overspending and makes suggestions on ways to avoid overspending.
2. Enters agenda items. Coordinates review and execution of agreements, resolutions, and ordinances with Legal, Purchasing, and General Government Departments. Processes required paperwork with consultants. Scans and enters information into the document management system and ensures that the properly executed documents are attached to the resolutions and ordinances. Submit approved Ordinances to codifier.
3. Enters all departmental employee training data into the training database and tracks required certification and licenses. Enters travel requests and requisitions for payment.
4. Types correspondence and other materials on a variety of general and technical topics of a non-confidential nature. May attend meetings to take and transcribe minutes which include posting approved minutes through the village document management system. Reads for accuracy and distributes minutes for department meetings. Provides administrative assistance to the Safety Consultant.
5. Copies and distributes information regarding damage to village property to appropriate personnel. Follows up, creates, and mails invoices. Contact person for insurance companies.
6. Acts as an intermediary for staff, maintaining frequent contacts with public and private officials, contractors, and other officials; screens calls and answers inquiries as appropriate.
7. Exercises discretion and judgment on most administrative decisions; develops and implements procedures for expediting the flow of clerical work through the office which includes updating office forms and procedures.
8. Keeps personnel, financial, and statistical inventory/records. Prepares departmental financial, operating, and special reports.
9. Sorts mail delivered to the office and routes mail to proper place; develops system for sorting and routing mail; reads outgoing mail for procedural and grammatical accuracy and factual correctness.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Education equivalent to a high school diploma.
2. A minimum of one year of experience as a secretary performing similar or related duties.
3. Proficiency with current computer software systems, including email, calendar programs, job specific software, and customer service systems preferred or within the first six months of employment.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. This position works in a typical office setting.
2. Prolonged periods of concentration, proofreading, and extensive computer work.
3. Ability to cope with numerous interruptions.
The Village of Schaumburg has a competitive benefit package which includes: flexible benefit Section 125 plan including health, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts, a retirement plan through the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, paid holidays, paid vacation, sick leave, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Candidate screening process may consist of an application review, skills testing, employability assessment, interviews, reference checks, and other job-related testing or verifications. Chosen candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history investigation, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination and drug screen.
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER