The Town of Carrboro is seeking a Communication and Engagement Specialist to join the Carrboro Communication and Engagement Department.
Through creative content production and meaningful storytelling, Communication and Engagement aims to help inform and engage members of the public, town staff, elected officials, community partners, journalists, and others. Communication areas include management of the town’s official website and primary social media channels; production of news releases; creation of multimedia graphics, photography and video content; publication of Carrboro This Week (community newsletter) and The Carrboro Roundtable (employee newsletter); and media relations and crisis communications.
Engagement includes initiatives to reach underrepresented communities, communicate with residents, host neighborhood gatherings, and increase resident involvement in civic and community life. Some activities are community-wide, while others are focused on specific groups in their communities, such as renters or non-English speaking residents. This department is responsible for implementing Inclusive Carrboro Communications and Community Engagement Plan.
*Salary will be based on selected candidate’s qualifications.
- Promote Town services and programs, both internally and to the general public.
- Write, edit and design content for various mediums including newsletters, news releases, social media, website, photography, videos, fliers, brochures, signage, etc.
- Provide support for video filming and editing.
- Coordinate and assist with engagement activities such as special events, campaigns, neighborhood meetings, and community surveys.
- Maintain contact lists and databases for news media, community partners and neighborhood and renter groups.
- Provide support to departments for website maintenance.
- Develop and maintain productive professional working relationships with community resources, partner agencies and organizations, town employees, and elected officials.
- Respond to inquiries from general public including those received via the town website and social media.
- Provide support of promotional items, communications and related resources.
- Perform analytical, technical and administrative duties in the budgetary process.
- Collect data analytics and maintain digital assets of the town.
- In collaboration with the Communication and Engagement Director – Provide media guidance to departments, including during community safety/crisis incidents.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Practices and guidelines of news writing and editing
- Practices and methods of video editing and production
- Principles and applications of critical thinking and analysis
- Principles and methods of qualitative and quantitative research
- Strong writing skills, following AP style as a rule
- Planning, preparing, designing and editing communications materials.
- Gathering data, analyzing findings and applying logic and reason.
- Coordinating deadlines and prioritizing competing demands.
- Researching industry trends, solutions, and best practices.
- Performing administrative duties in the budgetary process.
- Compiling and sorting data and articulating issues and recommendations.
- Utilizing communication and interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisors, the general public and others to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
- Ability to develop and maintain a variety of productive and cooperative work relationships external and internal to the Town.
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and tactfully in oral and written forms to convey sensitive and critical information to diverse audiences.
Additional Preferred Skills:
- Ability to provide Spanish-English language translation including written communications, verbal in-person and phone interpretation, and print materials.
- Video editing experience and proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (specifically Premiere Pro)
|Possession of a valid North Carolina driver's license.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, or related degree program and at least 1 year of communications experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above, unless otherwise subject to any other requirements set forth in law or regulation.
- Coursework in graphic design or video production. Experience with Premiere Pro is preferred.
- Bilingual and able to read, write and speak Spanish proficiently.
Application Special Instructions
How to Apply:
1. Complete the application and provide resume. Visit our career portal at www.carrboronc.gov/jobs
2. Attach a cover letter describing the extent to which you possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed, including examples of specialized experience, accomplishments, and responsibilities as they relate specifically to the position duties and responsibilities.
3. Attach samples or provide links to projects you have personally created that relate to the position duties and responsibilities.