The Village of Schaumburg is a thriving community of 78,732 residents located 12 miles west of O’Hare International Airport and approximately 26 miles northwest of Chicago. Not only is Schaumburg the twelfth-largest community in the State of Illinois, but it is also home to the second-largest concentration of retail, office, and commercial activity. Notable village distinctions include being named one of the "Top Ten Best Places to Live" by Money Magazine; being ranked No. 5 overall in WalletHub's "Best Illinois Cities for Jobs"; and receiving the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award from the Government Finance Officers Association for meeting the highest principles of governmental budgeting for the seventh consecutive year.
The village employs approximately 600 employees in 12 departments, including police, fire, engineering and public works, communications, community development, cultural services, economic development, finance, general government, human resources, information technology, and transportation. Our employees work to serve the residents and strive to make Schaumburg the best community it can be.
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Secretary (Community Development) with an online application deadline of 08/21/2022.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted as applications are received. This position will remain open until filled.
STARTING PAY RATE: $20.98 - $23.53 per hour based on a 35-hour workweek. Salary dependent on qualifications. The salary range for this position is $20.98 - $31.18. This position is represented by a union; you may refer to the AFSCME collective bargaining agreement available on our website.
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
This position performs clerical work to include but not limited to typing, customer service, coordinating work activities and daily administrative activities. Performs a wide range of purchasing and accounting duties.
To succeed in this role, applicants will need to effectively and clearly communicate to a full range of people inside and outside the organization, be motivated to complete tasks/responsibilities, and work cooperatively with others. We are looking to add a team member capable of prioritizing multiple projects, organize time and resources effectively, and have the ability to shift gears comfortably.
1. Provides general administrative support for department staff, including assistance with processing applications for planning/zoning requests, processing payments, maintaining village files, and preparing special reports.
2. Maintains files, including digital, for applications made to board/commissions/committees.
3. Attends evening public meetings; prepares minutes for meetings; prepares agendas; responsible for preparation of meeting notices in compliance with state Open Meetings Act requirements; prepares packets and other supporting documentation for commission/board members, staff, and the public.
4. Enters, tracks, and coordinates purchases for budget accounts. Reviews invoices for accuracy, obtains receiving information, and processes for payment. Reviews requisitions for completeness, accuracy, and authorization prior to processing. Resolves purchasing and/or payment issues. Ensures proper adjustments for returned items. Negotiates payment adjustments. Reviews open purchase orders with vendor for status of order. Maintains Procurement Card, provides correct accounting and processes records and systems.
5. Keeps financial, statistical, inventory and other records, develops forms and procedures, and orders office supplies.
6. Acts as an intermediary for staff, maintaining frequent contacts with public and private officials, contractors, and other officials, screens and routes calls, and answers inquiries as appropriate.
7. Prepares letters and ordinances, often requiring knowledge of specialized terminology of the department. Prepares correspondence and other materials on a variety of general and technical topics of a not-confidential and confidential nature.
8. Exercises discretion and judgment on most administrative decisions; develops and implements procedures for expediting the flow of clerical work through the office.
9. Provides administrative support for local Adjudication system.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
Schedules appointments for staff; makes necessary arrangements for attendance at seminars and conferences. May act as backup for other clerical positions as needed.
1. Education equivalent to a high school diploma.
2. A minimum of one year of experience as a secretary in an office.
3. Proficiency with current computer software systems, including email, calendar programs, job specific software, and customer service systems preferred or within the first six months of employment.
Considerable knowledge of office practices and procedures and business English, spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Ability to organize a variety of complex material for typing. Ability to answer involved questions regarding departmental operations and procedures. Ability to prepare and follow budgets and budget allotments. Skill in preparing meeting minutes. Ability to make administrative decisions regarding work organization and the flow of work. Ability to exercise good judgment, courtesy, and tact in receiving office callers and in making proper disposition of problems. Ability to adapt to new systems and procedures.
The Village of Schaumburg has a competitive benefit package which includes: flexible benefit Section 125 plan including health, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts, a retirement plan through the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, paid holidays, paid vacation, sick leave, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Candidate screening process may consist of an application review, skills testing, employability assessment, interviews, reference checks, and other job-related testing or verifications. Chosen candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history investigation, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination and drug screen.
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER