What's the Role?
We want highly motivated, reliable, and skilled individuals to join the Mountain View team in our service oriented, collaborative environment and take on the role of Administrative Assistant. This is the full journey-level class of the Administrative Assistant series. This recruitment will establish a list to fill current vacancies in the City Manager’s Office, City Clerk’s Office, and Human Resources Department, as well as future vacancies in the Administrative Assistant classification. You can review our detailed job description here .
The City Manager’s Office: consists of 23 people, including the City Manager, the chief executive of the organization, who supports the elected City Council in establishing priorities and policies and leads City departments in providing services to the community. The City Manager’s Office has four divisions critical to the effective operations of the City (City Management, Communications and Outreach, Human Services and the Sustainability). As the Administrative Assistant, you will provide support to each of these divisions and report to the Executive Assistant to the City Manager. You will work in an exciting, professional environment at the hub of the City organization, supporting the City Manager’s Office team and initiatives across the organization and providing excellent customer service to Mountain View residents and businesses.
The City Clerk’s Office: consists of 5 people, including the City Clerk, who administer the City Council meeting agenda process and municipal elections, maintain the City’s official records, manage advisory body recruitment and provide support to the City Council. As the Administrative Assistant, you will report to the Assistant City Clerk and provide support to the department’s initiatives, office reception and customer service to staff and the community. You will work in a fast-paced office with diverse job duties and opportunities supporting the initiatives of the City Clerk’s team.
The Human Resources Department: consists of 12 people and is responsible for providing exemplary service to City employees, while planning and implementing programs that maximize the performance of the organization and the strength of our workplace culture. As the Administrative Assistant, you will report to a Senior Human Resources Analyst and be the primary point of contact for the department, provide administrative support to the HR team on various department programs and organizational initiatives, and provide excellent customer service to City employees and the public. You will work in a fast-paced, rewarding and professional environment supporting various HR initiatives.
- Two years of increasingly responsible clerical and administrative office support experience.
- Education equivalent to the completion of the 12th grade.
- Public sector experience.
- Coursework in office or business management is highly desirable.
What You'll Do
- Perform a variety of general clerical duties including answering phones, filing (paper and electronic), billing, posting public notices, creating reports, and scheduling and setup for meetings and events.
- Act as interdepartmental liaison relating to administrative or project support functions for the office and for compliance with City regulations and practices relating to those functions.
- Prepare correspondence and supporting documentation relating to area of assignment; maintain accurate records and files of program activities; prepare and track mailings, legal notices, and reporting documents.
- Maintain and monitor records and files including assistance with records retention; follow up on due dates; assemble materials and information from various sources; perform bookkeeping duties.
- Work with Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook applications, as well as the Department’s software programs.
- Respond and resolve public inquiries with exceptional customer service, on the telephone, through email, in the CRM system, and in person. Refer to appropriate staff members, as needed and ensuring tracking and follow up to manage and ensure resolution.
- Assist with administering department policies and initiatives. Compile, route and track contracts, enter requisitions and process and track invoices and purchase orders.
- Route, log, and track documents submitted by other departments or employees.
- Oversee daily mail routing and distribution for assigned department.
- Maintain overall organization of the office and its supplies.
- Support department staff in preparation for public and/or internal meetings, including preparing agenda documents. and minutes, compiling and posting packets, and setting up for in person or online meetings.
- Proofread documents and conduct basic research related to areas assigned.
- Provide administrative support for programs and participate in teams for the organization of events.
Are We a Match?
- You are able to juggle various assignments in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment.
- You are detail-oriented and have strong organizational skills.
- You are customer service savvy – you strive to help people and take initiative to find the answer in creative ways.
- You’re able to work in partnership with customers and departments to make sure their needs are met.
- You have patience, strong active listening skills and the ability to adapt/respond to diverse needs.
- You can communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- You are diligent with a positive attitude and willingness to learn.
- You have a gift for organizing and updating files, information and data.
- You are eager to learn new software programs related to city wide procedures.
- You are able to take initiative and work independently, using good judgment to check in and provide updates or seek additional direction.
- You are excited to improve, model and market our unique and wonderful workplace culture.