How to Apply
This posting is for 3+ openings, and your application will be considered for all of them!
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
Looking for a great place to work with
- A living wage
- Job security
- Full benefits (including the State Health Plan and a pension!)
- A true team atmosphere, and
- Work you can take pride in
This is an entry-level opening for you to begin a career with the NC Department of Transportation as a Transportation Worker I. You'll get to work on exciting projects, learn construction skills, and build your career. Join us!
NEW HIGHER SALARY: $31,200 - $51,525
We are looking for entry-level transportation workers to join our Highway Maintenance team in Guilford county.
In this role you will learn to:
- Use standard hand tools, power equipment, vehicles, and heavy equipment in the preventive maintenance, repair, and construction of roads and roadside features for the NC highway and road systems.
- Perform flagging of vehicles entering/exiting construction work zones.
- Assist with the maintenance/repair project work using tools and equipment, such as a tractor with attachments, curb machine, cutoff saw, dump truck, small wheel and sheep foot rollers, vibrator roller compactor, pulverizer mixer, and pneumatic tire roller.
- Assist paint crews, erect road signs, and assist Electronics Technicians maintaining and installing signals.
- Operate hand tools for sign installation and replacement.
- Perform weed control, trash removal, push snow, and use a tractor with attachments and mower operation.
- Operate a dump and flatbed truck, broom tractor, paint line removing machine, thermoplastic machine, trencher, and edge-line paint gun operation.
- Ensure work zone safety.
- Assist in grass and wildflower planting and maintenance.
- Perform weed control, debris and snow removal.
What You Bring
- An interest in a career in Transportation Construction, and commitment to a safe work environment.
- Experience performing manual labor, and operating power tools such as a chainsaws, weed eaters, skill saws, drills, compactors, jackhammers, etc.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- A Commercial Driver’s License. (Note: You can get this after you are hired through on-the-job training, but it must be within 360 days from your date of hire.)
- A pre-employment drug test is required.
- We will check with previous employers for the past 2 years about controlled substances and alcohol testing.
- Safety toe footwear is required.
Education & Experience
- High school/GED diploma; or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Call me: Shona Barnes at 336.487.0000.
Connect to NCDOT Careers on