NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Winter Laborer (Engineering & Public Works) temporary with an online application deadline of 10/2/2022.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted as applications are received. This position will remain open until filled.
PAY RATE: $27.00 per hour based on a 40-hour workweek. Salary dependent on qualifications.
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
This position performs unskilled labor and performs snow and ice removal operations on village streets and village owned parking lots on a temporary as needed basis. Work consists of assisting staff in the maintenance and repair of Village infrastructure, buildings, grounds and facilities. This position may also perform semi-skilled mechanical labor as well as custodial work.
Position is typically from November 1st to April 30th based on a 40-hour work week. Work schedule may change depending on snow and ice operational needs.
1. Performs a variety of routine unskilled manual tasks, uses simple tools and carries and wheels heavy material as required.
2. Performs minor maintenance and custodial work in the care of Village owned buildings, grounds, and facilities.
3. Performs shop and yard clean-up and organization. Is responsible for the arrangement, location and proper operation of job-related tools and equipment in the shop/yard environment.
4. Drives a 58,000-pound GVWR truck hauling gravel, fill, or other material or plowing snow, services trucks and other equipment.
5. Performs Snow and Ice control duties and assists in emergencies such as floods and wind or rainstorms.
6. Salts and shovels sidewalks
7. Assists in processing and filling material requests and distributions of both fleet and public works related material.
8. Thorough knowledge of the Department’s Standard Operating Procedures and Safety Practices.
9. Keeps accurate records of accomplishments.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Education equivalent to a high school diploma.
2. Working knowledge of hand tools and power tools.
3. A minimum of two years of experience operating dump trucks with plow and salt spreader.
4. Possession of a valid Class A or B (CDL) Illinois driver’s license with air brake endorsement.
5. Proficiency with current computer technology, job specific software, and customer service systems.
Ability to establish good working relationships. Ability to carry out assignments with minimal supervision. Ability to read street maps and route maps in the English language. Ability to complete related paperwork in the English language. Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions in the English language. Ability to communicate over radio or phone in the English language. Proficient use of four wheel and/or six-wheel dump trucks with plow and salt spreader.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Subject to high levels of noise for an extended period of time.
2. Subject to extremes of temperature for prolonged periods or abrupt changes in temperature.
3. Subject to fumes or disagreeable odors.
4. Subject to extended periods of isolation.
5. Subject to inclement weather conditions.
6. Subject to working in wet, dirty, dusty, hot, humid, and/or cold conditions in high vehicle traffic areas.
7. Physical strength and agility sufficient to do strenuous laboring tasks under varying weather conditions. Ability to lift and move 75 pounds or more on a frequent basis.
8. Frequent and/or prolonged bending, stooping, standing, pulling, pushing, or reaching.
9. Occasionally works at heights/depths of 10 to 60 feet above or below ground
Temporary employees are not eligible for benefits.
Candidate screening process may consist of an application review, skills testing, employability assessment, interviews, reference checks, and other job-related testing or verifications. Chosen candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history investigation, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination and drug screen.
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER