Apple Valley, MN (pop. 56,318) seeks a progressive, professional, and highly collaborative candidate for its next Director of Community Development. The Director of Community Development oversees long range planning, economic development, and code enforcement services. The director supervises a full-time staff of seven, including three planning positions, three positions for code enforcement and a department assistant. The next Community Development Director will have the opportunity to build on the city’s past successes and plan for future opportunities for redevelopment and business attraction.
Apple Valley is an attractive and vibrant community located within the Twin Cities Metropolitan Area. Apple Valley is conveniently located 20 minutes south of downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul and 15 minutes south of the Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport. Cedar Avenue runs through the heart of Apple Valley, linking with Interstate 35E and 494 for easy access throughout the metropolitan area.
Apple Valley offers outstanding community amenities. The city offers an extensive parks and recreation system with over 900 acres of parkland and a variety of recreation facilities, including the Apple Valley Family Aquatic Center, Redwood Park outdoor pool, the Apple Valley Community Center, and the Apple Valley Senior Center. The city also operates two indoor ice arenas and the 18-hole Valleywood Golf Course. The city is proud to be the home of the Minnesota Zoo, a 485-acre premier attraction that brings 1.2 million visitors to Apple Valley each year. Additionally, Lebanon Hills Regional Park, the largest park in the Dakota County Park system at over 2,000 acres, is another regional attraction in Apple Valley.
The community has been ranked by Money Magazine’s as a Best Place to Live and continues to attract new residents and businesses. The city has a strong mix of retail, residential and commercial development, with room for further growth as sand and gravel mining operations conclude and make more vacant land available for development.
CANDIDATE QUALIFICATION CRITERIA
· Bachelor’s degree in planning, public administration, urban studies, community development or a related field. A Master’s degree is preferred.
· Eight years of experience in professional planning, redevelopment, economic development, or a related field, with at least five years of supervisory or leadership experience in a similar sized organization.
· Strong finance and budgeting skills, including familiarity with public financing tools.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· A pro-active communicative, team-oriented, and approachable management style.
The ideal candidate will be:
· An energetic and engaged leader willing to build relationships and be visible across the community.
· A highly collaborative and team-oriented manager.
· A skilled project manager able to oversee complex initiatives and ensure project completion.
· A willing and skilled mentor committed to developing the skills and abilities of the team.
· Experienced in business attraction and retention with a track record of success.
· Experienced in working with advisory boards and commissions with demonstrated experience in community engagement.
· Knowledgeable in land use planning, zoning, permitting and inspections. An AICP designation is preferred.
· An innovative and creative problem solver.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The current salary range is $118,000 -$157,000 DOQ and is currently under review. The City of Apple Valley offers an excellent and comprehensive benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should apply online by October 7, 2022, with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references at www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Charlene Stevens, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #225, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: (224) 282-8314. Interviews with the City of Apple Valley are anticipated in early November. The City of Apple Valley, MN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: October 7, 2022