How to Apply
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
We are the highest rated state agency for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor with 200+ reviews.
NEW HIGHER SALARY: $80,011-$156,021
We are looking for an experienced Engineering Project Management Team Lead to join our Technical Services Project Management team.
In this role you will:
- Oversee 2 Senior Project Managers who supervise teams of Project Managers delivering assigned portfolios of centrally-managed State Transportation Improvement Projects (STIP). These teams coordinate pre-construction activities from initial scoping through construction contract letting.
- Provide direction, leadership, supervision, technical guidance, and advice to team members to ensure the establishment and obtainment of project goals, objectives, deliverables, and schedules.
- Promote risk identification and implementation of mitigation strategies to ensure projects remain on scope, schedule, and budget.
- Provide technical direction/expert advice supporting the resolution of elevated project-related issues, and decisions on complex engineering, design, environmental, and public-involvement matters.
- Review key project deliverables for quality assurance while ensuring deliverables comply with federal/state laws, rules, regulatory actions, policies, and procedures.
- Attend and support project managers who are leading project meetings.
- Foster effective teamwork, communications, coordination, and collaboration.
- Work with senior leadership, local, state, and federal government representatives, professional engineering firms, and Division and technical staff to resolve project issues, discuss project specifics, and relay project status/updates.
- Manage both financial and human resources required to meet project delivery goals.
- Set performance measures, goals, and objectives, and measure progress for the section and staff.
- Manage our performance management system for the team and make hiring decisions.
- Ensure timely/proper contract administration with private engineering firms, including scopes of services, consultant selection, labor cost estimates, progress reports, and invoice review/payments.
- Monitor contract costs against available funding.
What You Bring
- Experience developing transportation infrastructure projects, including project planning and decision-making, preliminary and final design, and related technical/engineering analyses.
- Strong project management experience scoping development, developing schedules, setting budgets, ensuring quality, and leading risk management.
- Experience with overall project delivery processes and related transportation/highway engineering, techniques, practices, procedures, and requirements.
- Experience developing and managing professional services/engineering contracts including scoping, estimating, negotiating, QA/QC, invoice review/approval, project closeout, and performance evaluation.
- Experience supervising staff, including performance evaluations, employee development, and coaching.
- Experience organizing, developing, and leading multi-disciplinary teams, and providing updates to senior leadership and project stakeholders.
- Experience supervising permanent employees, contractors, and/or consultants.
- We may require registration as a professional engineer with the NC Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, and
- 6+ years of relevant engineering experience, and
- 4+ years of supervisory experience; or
- An equivalent combination of training and experience.
Call me: Claire Chiancone at 919-707-6309.
Connect to NCDOT Careers on