It's a great time to be in Pflugerville!
The City of Pflugerville is seeking its next Public Information Officer to join our team! The person we seek will believe in and exhibit the City's P.F.I.R.S.T. core values: Positive, Forward-thinking, Integrity, Resilience, Service, and Teamwork.
City of Pflugerville employees enjoy three (3) weeks of paid vacation along with 14 paid holidays a year, an attractive retirement plan where the City puts in 2 dollars for every 1 dollar you put into retirement, and the possibility to work from home!
As a Public Information Officer for the City, you will be overseeing and coordinating public information programs and developing publicity activities to heighten awareness of city activities, services, and programs.
Essential duties and responsibilities include:
- Functions as an individual contributor with respect to public information programs; must apply a significant degree of initiative and independent judgment; interfaces frequently with City Management, Police Chief, Command staff, and other City staff to present recommendations and administer public information programs.
- Works closely with Police Department and other city departments and city staff to maintain up-to-date news content.
- Serves as lead Police PIO providing support in police emergency incidents. Sharing on-call duties in rotation with the Communications Director and staff. Assists with promotions of Police special events and activities and documentation. Serves as PIO in the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) when activated in a rotation shift with the Communications Division.
- City publications/News Releases: Creates and distributes news releases for city departments, websites, news items, cable channel notices, fact sheets, and other forms of publicity to foster involvement and heighten awareness of city services, programs, and initiatives. Assists in the creation of marketing materials citywide and contributes stories and documentation for annual city communications reports.
- Writes, edits, and coordinates the design, production, and distribution of city publications in conjunction with the Communications Division to ensure consistency in citywide branding.
- Assists other departments with press releases, special events planning and coordination, and other related media activities including, but not limited to, Public Safety Day, Pfirecracker Pfestival, Deutschen Pfest, and open houses.
- Designs flyers and creative (Adobe Photoshop/Canva)
- Writes award applications and submits city work for state and national award recognitions.
- Assists with the script for Pflugerville Pfocus TV programming.
- Attends, represents, and/or coordinates with City Manager's Office at City Council meetings, community functions, open houses, community meetings, civic organizations, and governmental groups; prepares and presents presentations regarding educational programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skill Requirements:
Formal Education: Bachelor's Degree in Public or Media relations or equivalent education experience.
Relatable Work Experience: 3 years of experience in a writing-intensive position, preferably in a related function.
Training (Licenses and/or Certifications): Incident Command and Basic PIO FEMA certifications are required within the first six months of employment. FEMA Advanced PIO certification preferred. Receive within the first two years of employment. *Based on class availability.
Preferred Qualifications: Bilingual preferred, but not required. Experience working with law enforcement.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, applicants are permitted to substitute two years of related full-time experience for one year of higher education or one year of related higher education for two years of experience to meet the minimum requirements of the job. One year of full-time experience is defined as 30 or more hours worked per week for 12 months. One year of higher education is defined as 30 credit hours completed at an accredited college or university.
- Flexible scheduling and the opportunity to work from home.
- 10 hours of vacation leave per month, 3 weeks per year.
- 8 hours of sick leave per month, 12 days per year.
- Sick leave incentive pay- Employees are compensated in December each year for 25% of their unused sick leave accumulated during the preceding fiscal year.
- Medical insurance and benefits are provided at zero premium cost to the employee.
- 50% dependent health benefits premium contribution.
- Dental benefits are provided at zero premium cost to the employee.
- 24 hours of paid personal holiday leave each fiscal year.
- 10 wellness hours each fiscal year for eligible preventive and mental health services.
- Longevity pay of $8 per month begins with the first anniversary and will be paid on a separate paycheck in December of each year.
- Retirement plan includes a 7% contribution of an employee's gross salary to the Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS) with a City contribution match of 2 to 1 (14%) at retirement.
- Retirement eligibility requires 5 years of service at age 60 or 20 years of service at any age.
- Employees also have an additional retirement fund option to participate in a 457 plan.
- Long-Term Disability is employer-paid and covers 60% of the employee's salary up to $7,500.
- For eligible employees, military leave provides up to 15 days of paid leave per fiscal year.
- Education reimbursement assistance up to $2,000 per fiscal year.
- Employer-paid basic term life insurance policy two (2) times an employee's base salary, up to $325,000 maximum.
- 40 paid service hours are available to volunteer within our community.
- Up to 160 hours of paid parental leave to eligible employees following the birth of an employee's child or the placement of a child with an employee in connection with adoption, foster care, or other legal placement to care for and bond with the child.
For more details about the benefits offered by the City please visit https://www.pflugervilletx.gov/city-government/people-and-culture/benefits.
If you are interested in making a difference in the community and wish to be a part of the Pflugerville team, go to pflugervilletx.gov under Employment Opportunities and apply today!