About The Position:
Do you value equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging? If so, and you're interested in working to create, promote, and foster a culture of connection for the organization and community, the City of Scottsdale has two part-time internships opportunities for you to join the Office of Diversity and Inclusion!
The Office of Diversity is responsible for creating and promoting a culture of equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging in the organization and community. The primary role of this internship is to support the Diversity Director by working on special projects that include, but are not limited to, research, data analytics, report writing, content development, and community outreach.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate knowledge of:
- The principles and practices of public or business administration or management.
- Administrative regulations relating to retention.
- Research techniques, methods and procedures.
- Office management principles, practices and equipment.
- The structure and dynamics of municipal government.
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion principles.
- Microsoft Office products and other relevant technologies.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate they have the ability to:
- Plan, organize and coordinate administrative operations.
- Communicate effectively both in writing and verbally.
- Work independently and without constant supervision.
- Seek out and utilize various resources to complete special projects and prepare and present reports, information and/or training materials.
- Make mathematical calculations and draw logical conclusions.
- Provide thoughtful and thorough analysis on the phone and in person.
- Provide effective solutions within operational policy.
- Listen and communicate effectively with a diverse group of people.
- Proficiently perform computerized word processing, comprehension, summarizing and writing/editing within the area assigned.
- Establish and maintain tactful and effective working relationships with City staff and general public.
- Handle multiple assignments and projects simultaneously; maintain good judgment in prioritizing work assignments.
- Attend or conduct various meetings.
Although the City currently has two positions available, only one of them is open to all candidates; the other vacancy is reserved for a student who is actively attending Paradise Valley Community College (PVCC).
- Part-time positions have limited benefits, as required by law.
- Part-time positions are unclassified, meaning they are at-will and serve at the discretion of the City.
- The rate of pay is non-negotiable and will be fixed at $17.78/hour.
- The intent of these positions is to work at least 19 hours per week (possibly more upon negotiation) through Wednesday, 5/31/2023, unless otherwise specified so long as the overall assignment does not exceed one year from the initial date of hire.
- Interviews may be scheduled periodically throughout the duration of this continuously posted recruitment until both vacancies have been filled.
- At the end of the internship, these individuals will either be separated or given an opportunity to apply for a different position, but only if one is available, the minimum qualifications of the new position are met, and the individual is identified at the discretion of the hiring supervisor to be interviewed and/or selected.
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following:
- Assists with the Diversity Advisory Committee
- Researches best practices for Employee Resource Groups
- Assist with developing content for social media platforms
- Supports Scottsdale for All diversity initiative
- Assists with research and data collection for reports
- Creates employee surveys
- Assists with planning special events and educational opportunities
- Assists in the research, coordination, and deployment of resources, communications, and trainings that engage the organization and team members
- Participates in team and working group meetings and provide administrative support
- Ability to manage confidential and sensitive information
- Collaborates with city departments to create a DEI report
- Other special projects as assigned