About the Department
The City of San José, the Capital of Silicon Valley, is one of the nation's best managed cities and one of the top ten cities in which to live, work and do business. Moreover, San José is the center of cultural government and economic activity for the region. The employees of the City of San José have embraced the following values: Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect and Celebration.
The San José City Council consists of ten Councilmembers elected by district and a Mayor elected at-large, each for four-year terms. The Mayor and Council are responsible for representing the residents of San José, providing accountability, reviewing public policy and programs, and adopting those policies which best meet the needs of the residents, visitors, and businesses in San José.
Position and Duties
Per the City’s COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy, the City requires all employees starting on or after February 11, 2022 to provide proof of vaccination as a condition of employment absent a documented medical and/or religious exemption. Proof of vaccination means that employees are required to be “up-to-date” with regards to the COVID-19 vaccine. Consistent with the Santa Clara County Public Health Order issued on December 28, 2021, "up-to-date" means that employees are required to be vaccinated with the entire recommended initial series of a COVID-19 vaccine (two doses of the Pfizer, Moderna or Novavax COVID-19 vaccine or a single dose of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine).
Please note that applications are currently not accepted through CalOpps or any other third-party job board application system. To apply, applicants must complete an application via the City of San Jose’s website at http://www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers.
The total salary range for the Executive Assistant classification is $72,408.44-$95,362.54 annually (the annual salary range reflects a full-time staff position). This amount includes an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable pay. The actual salary shall be determined by the final candidates’ qualifications and experience.
The Council District Offices are recruiting for Executive Assistant positions. The position assists in office management and performs executive level administrative work for an elected official. The position will report to the Chief of Staff. The focus of the position is performing various office administrative functions of considerable difficulty and ensuring effective office management for the Council District office. Given the nature of the Council District office's work, the position requires effective organizational skills; ability to handle multiple and competing assignments; strong verbal and written communication skills; computer skills; the ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with a high level of ethics and integrity; and the ability to develop and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships with community members and neighborhood organizations, key stakeholders, and city staff. The Executive Assistant is an integral link between the Councilmember, Mayor, City Council colleagues, City Administration, and the community of the district. The Executive Assistant must demonstrate excellent communication skills, a strong work ethic, and a dedication to public service.
· Supports the elected official by managing office calendar, email, and phone calls.
· Ensures timely filing of required governmental disclosure forms.
· Develops and administers internal office processes and procedures to ensure accuracy, efficiency, and timeliness of project completion.
· Manages office administrative projects that involve generating reports, data entry, and analysis in a Salesforce database and Excel.
· Responsible for main office phone line and office email account and responding to inquiries directed to the Council District office.
· Drafts office reports and correspondence and edits for grammar and clarity.
· Gathers, organizes, and evaluates data related to specific issues, programs, or projects.
· Manages grant requests and processing.
· Office personnel administration and participation in budget preparation and administration.
· Prepares and monitors expenditures, contracts, and payments.
· Other office administrative functions as assigned such as filing, ordering supplies, processing incoming and outgoing mail, assisting with meeting set-up, and coordinating office travel and conference/training registrations.
Employees in this classification are not members of the classified civil service and appointment would be on a contract “at-will” basis and is for a specified period of time to be determined by the appointing Councilmember and does not extend past the end of the elected official's or appointing authority's term. Candidates must be willing to work evenings and weekends on occasion, and as exempt management employees, are not eligible for overtime compensation.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to the following:
Education: Associate of Arts degree from an accredited college in business or closely related field.
Experience: Five (5) years of progressively responsible work experience in the business field and/or office management.
Required Licensing: Possession of a valid California Driver’s license may be required.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San José will not sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
Desirable experience, knowledge and skills for this position include:
· Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced work environment with changing priorities and deadlines.
· Communicates and listens effectively and responds in a timely, effective, positive, and respectful manner; written reports and correspondence are accurate and well-organized.
· Proficient experience with MS Office applications, including Outlook email and calendar, Word, and Excel. Experience and familiarity with Salesforce is desirable.
· Ability to approach problem-solving while focusing on customers (residents and constituents); advocates from customer’s point of view; demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs, and delivers services effectively and efficiently in a timely, accurate, and respectful manner.
· Exhibits self-directed, resourceful, and creative behaviors toward meeting job objectives; anticipates problems, is proactive, and avoids difficulties by planning ahead; displays willingness to assume extra responsibility or workload and accept challenges; pursue continuing educational opportunities which promote enhanced job performance.
· Demonstrates teamwork and interpersonal skills, having a positive attitude and flexibility along with the ability to develop effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
· Knowledge of public information, media relations, and community outreach skills is desirable.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process may consist of one or more interviews. You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
1. Please describe your administrative and office management experience and abilities that you believe would make you a successful candidate for the Executive Assistant position.
2. Can you describe your experience in managing an office calendar, phone, and email accounts, and your level of proficiency with computer applications?
3. Can you describe your experience in handling extremely confidential information, including the nature of the information, and the steps you took to maintain confidentiality?
Please make sure to submit your resume. You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Dominique Voelker at Dominique.Voelker@sanjoseca.gov.
To learn more information about City Benefits, click here.
To learn more information about City Council, click here (Department page will update when election results are certified).
Link to California Equal Pay Act
This position will remain open until filled and applications will be reviewed continuously; therefore, we encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible. Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application. If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. If you do not receive the confirmation, please email CityCareers@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application. Please contact Human Resources at (408) 535-1285 or via email at Human.Resources@sanjoseca.gov if you have any questions.