Under general supervision from the Public Works Operations Manager for scheduled tasks, and generally works independent from immediate supervision, while performing most tasks. Technical or functional supervision may be provided when a task warrants field supervision from a supervisor or supervision as otherwise directs. Has responsibility performing a variety of semi-skilled and skilled tasks in municipal maintenance work, and operates equipment in the construction operation, repair, maintenance, and replacement of the Town’s water, wastewater, streets, signs, signals, parks, storm drainage and facilities. Must be willing and able to work flexible shift, holidays, and weekends as needed.
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be per- formed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this position.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Inspects, and/or repairs drainage flumes, meters, streets, sewer collection systems, water well sites and facilities at frequent intervals to ensure that all aspects of the systems are operational and functioning properly.
- Maintains a variety of records relating to inspections, maintenance activity, water supply, consumption, etc.
- Determines and marks the locations of water and wastewater lines and observes the ground marks from the appropriate sources for other utilities, prior to excavations.
- Reads water meters on a scheduled basis by driving a provided vehicle and walking.
- Responds to complaints regarding functional areas such as street conditions, street signs, wastewater system problems, traffic signals, water leaks, pressure loss and/or no water; evaluates situation; takes corrective action; seeks supervisor guidance; communicates findings to the supervisor.
- Contact’s residents and business owners in areas where service interruptions will impact them; represents the Town in a positive and professional manner in these situations.
- Ensures the proper maintenance of equipment and tools by cleaning and checking equipment and tools after each use; provides preventative maintenance as required.
- Drives trucks and equipment of various sizes and weights in the loading, hauling, and unloading of equipment, material, gravel, sand, concrete, asphalt, and flex base.
- Performs routine inspection and preventative maintenance on assigned systems, equipment and refers defects or needed repairs to supervisor.
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards/policies.
- Performs required labor involved in the construction and maintenance of projects as part of crew; including, water leak repairs, sewer system repairs, fire hydrant repairs, pavement repairs, fire hydrant flushing and valve operation or any type of system repairs as directed.
- Performs animal control duties, removing deceased animals from the roadways, capturing stray animals, transporting animals to the shelter, etc.
- Performs all tasks as directed, not specifically listed as a duty or responsibility within the job description.
- Performs a scheduled “on-call” rotation, maintaining that status for a one-week interval, typically every fifth week. The on-call status requires a 30-minute response, once notified by phone and, the performance of scheduled tasks during weekends and holidays. The on-call schedule may also be as directed; determined by a supervisor to ensure operational coverage.
- Performs tasks related to Town Events, typically afterhours, weekends and holidays as a mandatory assignment and overtime. Tasks include, setting up chairs, trash containment and removal, equipment, etc.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Some knowledge of equipment , facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in the maintenance, repair, construction and associated activities, including; hazards associated with construction work and safety precautions; traffic laws for construction zone signage; purposes and uses of a variety of vehicles, equipment, power tools, hand tools and motorized, pneumatic and hydraulic equipment; standards for the maintenance of traffic signs and pavement markings; properties of backfill materials, concrete, asphalt (hot/cold mix), preparation and application; equipment, tools, and methods used in the repair, maintenance and installation of water, wastewater systems (pipe, fittings, valves, hydrants, manholes) and related facilities.
- Ability to perform skilled maintenance, construction, and repair work in the area of work assigned; perform heavy manual tasks; ability to work safely in accordance to established policy and procedure; communicate effectively, both verbally and written; establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and members of the community; work effectively in the absence of and without close supervision; understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
- Performs tasks, primarily in the outdoor environment and is subject to all weather conditions.
- In the performance of assigned tasks, works near moving vehicles, traffic, and in roadways; high precarious places, possibly exposed to fumes, airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals; potential high noise levels; works near or around electrical motors and pumps.
- Requires physical conditioning, ability, and dexterity necessary to operate motorized vehicles, equipment, tools, and power tools; frequently required to stand, smell, talk, hear, walk, sit, stoop, kneel, crouch, climb, balance; lift-up to 75 lbs., move by pulling, pushing, rolling objects exceeding 75 lbs.
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, adjusting focus and depth perception.
- Physical conditioning, ability to work extended hours, beyond the scheduled 8- or 10-hour shift as a result of operational necessities.
Pay Scale and Benefits
· $40,700 - $54,250
· TMRS Retirement – 2 for 1 matching
· License / Certification pay
· 14 Paid Holidays
· Vacation Leave
· Sick Leave
· Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply on the Town’s website: www.townofpantego.com Submit a complete and signed Town of Pantego employment application to 1614 S. Bowen Rd, Pantego, TX 76013. Or email to Sandra Overstreet, Human Resources, email@example.com
Applications will be considered as they are received. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of an application. Incomplete applications will not be processed until completed in full. Applications may be downloaded at https://www.townofpantego.com/jobs