NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Intern - Forestry (Engineering & Public Works) summer with an online application deadline of 03/31/2023.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted as applications are received. This position will remain open until filled.
PAY RATE: $18.00 per hour based on a 40-hour workweek.
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
This position conducts field inspections to determine if diseases, insects, or other natural or unnatural occurrences have affected trees in the village’s urban forest. This position answers requests from residents pertaining to tree health and care and prepares written and verbal reports based on inspection data. Position is for the summer months typically based on a 40 hour work week.
To succeed in this role candidates should be detail oriented, self-motivated, and possess superior organization and writing skills.
1. Conducts field inspections and documentation to determine if diseases, insects, or other natural or unnatural occurrences have affected trees in the village’s urban forest. These inspections will include site meetings with property managers and owners.
2. Monitors contractors performing tree maintenance activities in the village’s parkways and other properties.
3. Assists the Forester in implementing and documenting the village’s EAB Management Plan.
4. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Associate’s Degree from an accredited college or equivalency of college hours in process of obtaining a Bachelor's or Graduate Degree in Forestry or a closely related field.
2. Prerequisite educational course work includes undergraduate level forestry, horticulture or closely related field.
3. Demonstrate a working knowledge of trees and insects and diseases that affect tree health and care. Extensive knowledge of tree identification, diseases, insects, and maintenance techniques used in managing an urban forest.
4. Possession of a valid driver’s license.
5. Proficiency with current computer technology, job specific software, and customer service systems.
Temporary employees are not eligible for benefits.
Candidate screening process may consist of an application review, skills testing, employability assessment, interviews, reference checks, and other job-related testing or verifications. Chosen candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history investigation, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination and drug screen (including cannabis).
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER