How to Apply
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
We are the highest rated state agency for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor with 240+ reviews.
NEW HIGHER PAY: $32,460 - $56,806
We are looking for an experienced transportation worker to join our Forsyth County Maintenance team.
In this role you will:
- Do preventive maintenance, repair, and construction of State-maintained roads.
- Set up work zones, install traffic control devices, repair asphalt pavements, clear right of way of debris and hazards, assist with pipe installation, and operate hand and power tools.
- Operate equipment including an asphalt maintainer, asphalt patch truck, tandem dump truck, crack sealing machine, rollers, sweepers, skid steer, and backhoe.
- Monitor tasks performed by inmates and other transportation workers.
- Respond to emergencies such as snow and ice removal, downed trees, and traffic control cleanup during normal business hours or during emergency call back situations and scheduled night work.
What You Bring
- Working knowledge of Intermediate Work Zone Safety and NCDOT Workplace Safety policy and practices.
- Experience operating at least 2 pieces of the following equipment: backhoe, tandem dump truck, motor grader, front end loader, forklift, force feed loader, asphalt distributor, asphalt patcher, crack sealing machine, track excavators, skid steer or sweeper.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and train others in equipment operations and direct work crew's daily activities.
- Experience in shoulder and ditch maintenance, pipe installation, or asphalt patching.
- Snow and ice removal experience.
- A Class A Commercial Driver's License with N endorsement within 360 days of hire. (Note: we provide on-the-job training!).
- Good verbal and writing communications skills.
- You will be exposed to extreme conditions such as ice, snow, difficult terrain, dust, extreme heat and cold, high volumes of traffic, and heavy construction equipment.
- Safety toe shoes are required.
- We will conduct a pre-employment drug test and check with your employers over the past 2 years for alcohol/drug abuse.
- You must be able to obtain and maintain a valid inmate card.
Education & Experience
- High school/GED diploma, and
- 5+ years of relevant experience; or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Call me: Jennifer Redding at (336) 896-2350.
Connect to NCDOT Careers on