Job Number: 2023-04
Classification: Management Support Technician
Closes: Sunday, February 5, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
Springfield Public Library
SEIU Represented, Non-exempt
Full Benefits including PERS. *Benefit enrolled employees and dependents have access to a free, on-site health and wellness center.
$20.14- $28.19/hour, dependent on qualifications and based on State of Oregon defined bona fide factors in accordance with Oregon's Pay Equity Act.
*This position requires evenings and Saturday shifts.
The City of Springfield has an immediate opening for a Library Technician. We believe diversity, equity, and inclusion bring new ideas, experiences, and enriches our City. We encourage you to think outside-the-box and consider how your skills and experience can positively contribute to an inclusive working environment that is committed to serving the needs of all. We are looking for an enthusiastic, customer service-oriented person who is effective in communicating with people from a variety of backgrounds. This position performs a variety of paraprofessional library support services. The position staffs public service desks to provide technology assistance, register patrons for library cards, and help check items in and out of the library. The position also processes library materials for circulation, collaborates with team members on library initiatives, and other support services duties. Must be able to work day, evening, and weekend shifts as assigned. Must be able to work extended periods standing, bending, and lifting up to 10 pounds.
For more information, please see the Library Technician job description:
Essential Duties include:
• Provide welcoming and responsive customer service to patrons of all ages, backgrounds and needs
• Use respectful, tactful communication in person, by email, by letter, etc.
• Maintain excellent attention to detail. For example, to conduct final quality control check on items added to our collections.
• Use independent judgment to interpret and apply library policies and procedures
• Manage interruptions and prioritize work
• Work with librarian staff to assist patrons with their information needs
• Use computers and related databases and software applications
• Take part in work team assignments, such as the library’s Marketing Team
• Accurately enter and update data into the integrated library system to maintain accounts
• Work with a cash drawer, make change, determine cash balances, etc.
• Drive city vehicle to retrieve books from satellite book drops and return to library
The City will consider any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education, and experience to meet minimum qualifications.
• High school diploma or GED; and,
• One year of professional-level communications and customer service that includes serving demanding customers and completing tasks with frequent interruptions.
Preference may be given to candidates with:
1. Previous experience working in a public library
2. Previous experience volunteering in a public library
3. Spanish language proficiency
Licensing and Certification:
• Valid Oregon Driver’s License at time of appointment.
Medium Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. This position walks to various parts of the library to assist patrons, which may limit sitting for only a few minutes during the public desk shift. The position also may require standing for 3.5 hours while regularly moving, bending, lifting 10 pounds, and visual scanning the service points over a 180-degree area.
Incumbent may be required to travel and pick up library dropbox materials.
All testing and selection processes will be done in accordance with the Oregon Veteran’s Preference in Public Employment Law.
Please do not indicate ‘See Resume’ in the ‘Work Experience’ part of the application. The information you provide in the application ‘Work Experience’ and ‘Job Duties’ will be used to determine if you will proceed to the next phase in the selection process. Information related to education and experience must be verifiable on your application to be given credit.
NOTE: This announcement is intended as a general descriptive recruitment guide and is subject to change. It does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.
The City of Springfield is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply:
Please visit our website at https://www.springfield-or.gov/city/human-resources/careers/ to learn more about this job posting and how to apply.