The Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) is the regional transportation planning agency in North Carolina’s western Triangle. The MPO is responsible for planning and programming all modes of transportation including highways, public transit, freight, bicycles, and pedestrians. Our work is regionally based, but community focused. We formulate and implement plans that will improve life locally and ensure that these plans reflect our member communities’ collective vision.
The MPO’s office, based in Durham NC, currently operates under a flexible, hybrid work policy. Effective July 1, 2023, the MPO will migrate from the City of Durham to the Triangle J Council of Governments. This position, while housed at TJCOG, will report to the DCHC MPO Executive Director.
About the Position
The MPO Transportation Planning Manager is responsible for transportation planning operations; supervising staff; assisting with developing agency policies and procedures; facilitating process improvement operations; ensuring compliance with applicable performance and quality standards, regulations, policies, and procedures; conducting technical analyses and making related recommendations; coordinating project operations; preparing and maintaining reports and records; and coordinating with staff to oversee planning-related operations in the assigned area of function. Supervises professional, technical, and support staff including performance evaluations, mentoring, and onboarding-offboarding processes.
Description of Work
Positions reporting to the MPO Transportation Planning Manager may be responsible for:
Education and Experience
· A Master’s Degree and eight (8) years professional experience in a relevant field, including urban or regional planning, transportation planning, civil or transportation engineering, or public policy;
· American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) Certification is preferred.
· The ability to engage in inclusive dialogue with a variety of audiences, including the MPO board, elected officials, technical staff, diverse stakeholders, and the public, in both written and oral formats.
· Demonstrated ability to manage scope development, tasks or projects. Instruct, mentor and lead others participating in those tasks and projects.
· A professional commitment to working towards the MPO’s goals for the region, including goals for transportation equity, clean air and sustainable communities, safety, system preservation and modernization, capacity management and mobility, and economic vitality.
· Ability to work both collaboratively and independently with strong personal initiative and work on multiple projects simultaneously while adhering to deadlines.
· Quantitative and qualitative analytical skills, including proficiency working with and maintaining spreadsheets and databases.
Salary and Benefits
· Hiring Range: $71,544.00 - $110,894.00
(Employee will be eligible for a 5% increase after serving a 6-month probation period.)
· Benefits: The Triangle J Council of Governments offers a generous benefits package including paid vacation and sick leave; NC Local Government Retirement System; 5% 401(k) employer contribution; employer-paid health, dental, vision and life insurance; health spending account, flexible spending account for child/dependent care expenses; and flexible schedules and hybrid work environment.
Providing a platform for collaboration among local governments, stakeholders, and partners in our diverse region of NC. See the kind of work we do at www.tjcog.org
How to Apply
2. Send completed application package (cover letter, completed application and resume) by email to email@example.com with the subject MPO Planning Manager.
Position is open until filled; initial review of applications begins February 3, 2023.