Under direct supervision of the Assistant Finance Director, perform a variety of accounting activities involving the recording, analysis and reporting of financial data.
Performs professional accounting work involving compilation, consolidation and analysis of financial data. Responsible for accomplishing accounting assignments involving the application of accounting knowledge and abilities. Functions as an individual contributor with respect to City accounting functions; must apply a significant degree of initiative and independent judgment; frequently interfaces with employees and managers in other departments and the general public.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Understand overall accounting functions and operations of the City.
- Prepare financial statements and schedules, including various monthly or summary financial reports, for management, Council, and other departments.
- Evaluate budgets and purchases for fixed assets. Maintain and update fixed asset records;
- Record financial transactions through journal entries. Review journal entries for inconsistencies and possible irregularities.
- Analyze and reconcile various general ledger accounts and financial reports including but not limited to: accounts receivable, accounts payable, purchasing card, capital projects, and bonds.
- Assist in preparation of the City's annual budget, audit, CAFR, PAFR, and related documents.
- Develop or modify written procedures relating to departmental accounting processes and communicate with others.
- Prepare special reports or conduct research as requested by department management.
- Coordinate and review the work of others in the finance department to complete financial projects.
- Conform with and abide by all regulations, policies, work procedures, and safety rules.
- Become thoroughly familiar with every aspect of departmental processes.
- Work on special projects as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Thorough understanding of governmental accounting and the City's processes within that framework.
- In-depth knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), governmental accounting standards (GASB) and fund accounting.
- Capacity to review, interpret and apply policies, laws, standards, guidelines, and best practices from a variety of organizations and authorities.
- Ability to work independently or as a part of a team. Confident in ability to handle competing priorities and deadlines.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and organization skills.
- Ability to interface professionally with employees, management, vendors, consultants, and general public. Excellent customer service skills (phone and face-to-face).
- Proficient with special department software such as Incode, standard word processing, database and spreadsheet software, applicable computer equipment, 10-key calculator and standard office equipment.
- Bachelor's degree with a major in Finance, Accounting or related field, required.
- 3 years of experience in finance/accounting role, preferably in municipal government accounting.
- Certified Government Finance Officer (CGFO) or similar certification preferred.
If you are someone or know someone interested in making a difference in the community and wish to be a part of the Pflugerville team, go to pflugervilletx.gov under employment opportunities and apply!