Seasonal Park Assistant (Multiple Openings)
Job ID: 106871
Location: Oregon City, Oregon
Full/Part Time: Full Time
CLACKAMAS COUNTY CORE VALUES
Clackamas County employees work to serve the public and enrich our community. In that spirit, we pledge to hold ourselves to these standards at all times in our interactions with customers and one another:
• Individual accountability
By incorporating these values into our daily routines, we can better serve our customers, ourselves and our projects. We're always looking to improve. That's the Clackamas County SPIRIT. https://www.clackamas.us/countyadmin/spirit
Clackamas County is committed to building a community where people thrive, have a sense of safety, connection, and belonging, so that everyone is honored and celebrated for the richness in diversity they bring. We encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds and lived experience to apply.
This position will remain open until filled. This recruitment is for multiple seasonal roles and will remain open until all vacancies have been filled. Applications will be reviewed every Monday morning. We reserve the right to close this recruitment at any time on or after that date.
Work will generally start mid-May and continue through mid-September. Earlier or later start dates are available as needed.
PAY AND BENEFITS
Hourly Pay Range: starting at $ 18.25
Starting salaries will be within the posted pay range, based on job-related factors, such as relevant experience. This may include military service, paid work, and unpaid work (internships, volunteering, etc.).
A temporary status or seasonal status position receives EAP benefits only. Employees will accrue one (1) hour of sick leave for every thirty (30) hours worked with a maximum accrual of eighty (80) hours per year
JOB DETAILS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Clackamas County Parks is seeking Seasonal Park Assistants to provide excellent customer service, perform landscaping, janitorial, and other tasks in order to protect, maintain, operate and repair County parks lands and facilities, and be a positive presence in the parks.
This recruitment is for multiple seasonal roles (generally 3 to 6 months), and will remain open until all vacancies have been filled. Applications reviewed every Monday morning. These positions will work from mid-May to mid-September.
These are full-time, 40 hour per week positions. A limited number of part-time, 20 hour per week positions are also available.
Required Minimum Qualifications/ Transferrable Skills:*
• Must be at least 18 years of age at the time of hire
• Must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. https://dochub.clackamas.us/documents/drupal/69fd8013-4594-4afd-bee9-f1e0aeab42ea
• Must pass a criminal history check which may include national or state fingerprint records check
• Must pass a post-offer physical assessment; accommodation requests will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation
• Driving is required for County business on a regular basis or to accomplish work. Incumbents must possess a valid driver's license, and possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment. http://dochub.clackamas.us/documents/drupal/828106a0-265a-47cc-a3a6-0a2c8b028673
Preferred Special Qualifications/ Transferrable Skills:*
• Customer Service experience
• Prior Park & Recreation experience
• Written and oral communication skills
• Current CPR/ First Aid Certification
• Basic computer and software skills
• Bookkeeping experience
• Basic carpentry, plumbing, landscaping and small equipment maintenance skills
*For Veterans qualified for Veteran's Preference: If you believe you have skills that would transfer well to this position and/or special qualifications that relate to this position, please list those skills and/or qualifications in the open-ended question at the end of the application and explain how those skills and/or qualifications relate to this position.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
• Provides customer service to park patrons; assesses and resolves complaints; assists volunteer park hosts as necessary; provides assistance during emergencies; prepares park for special events; assists in traffic control, parking and set up.
• Collects and accounts for fees in park day use and campground areas; enforces user fee compliance; processes computerized campsite reservations; ensures parks close at scheduled times and may close park as necessary.
• Informs and educates park users on county ordinances and regulations pertaining to the use of county parks; maintains park safety and health standards; ensures safety compliance.
• Under direction of a Ranger, performs tasks associated with ongoing seasonal park operations and maintenance requirements.
• Maintains park operation and maintenance logs and daily activity reports.
• Under supervision of a Ranger, performs a wide variety of skilled and semi-skilled tasks in the construction, maintenance and repair of parks, park facilities, marine facilities and other public areas.
• Operates, repairs and maintains a variety of machines, hand and power tools and equipment used to build, repair and replace park improvements and infrastructure; performs campground and day use area cleaning and maintenance and repair such as mowing lawns, clearing roads and trails.
• Clean and maintain park facilities, gutters, fire pits/grills; loads and delivers firewood; cleans and restocks restrooms, removes refuse and recycling; maintains plants and cultivates trees, shrubs and lawn.
• Monitors park for safety and fire hazards.
Working knowledge and/or skills to: Carry out work assigned; establish and maintain effective working relationships with team members, other county employees, contractors, community service workers, volunteers and the public; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; interpret and enforce park rules and regulations; prepare and maintain accurate records and reports; operate computer software; safely operate motor vehicles and manual and power tools (mowers, blowers, weed eaters, edgers); construct/repair a variety of park improvements including playground equipment, walkways, tables, benches, steps, trails, campsites, planters, barbecues, and fire pits; install/maintain signs, posts, gates and fences; accurately count and handle cash transactions.
Position requires frequent standing, walking, squatting, bending, kneeling, twisting, and repetitive forward and overhead reaching. Ability to lift/carry 100 lbs. and push objects weighing up to 90 lbs.
Duties involve exposure to inclement weather, noise, dust, chemicals, fumes and continuous work around moving machinery.
Full-time positions work up to 40 hours during a work week. Must be able to work on weekends and holidays. Seasonal Park Assistants are expected to be available for work from mid-May through mid-September. Specific hours of work will be discussed with the candidate selected for this position at the time an offer of employment is made.
A limited number of part-time positions are available. Part-time positions work 20 hours during a work week (2 shifts) and must be able to work a Tuesday/Wednesday shift or a Saturday/Sunday shift.
EXPLORE CLACKAMAS COUNTY
Clackamas County is in a prime location in the Portland, Oregon metropolitan area and is recognized nationally as one of the most livable areas in the United States. Located on the southern edge of the City of Portland and extending to the top of Mt. Hood, Clackamas County is part of a thriving region in the Northwest. It has a population of about 420,000 residents.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Our County Parks program provides outdoor recreation, camping, and land stewardship services to residents and visitors so they can experience clean, safe, and healthy recreation and natural resource opportunities in rural Clackamas County.
Clackamas County only accepts online applications.
Help With Your Application:
If you have any questions or issues you may contact the Department of Human Resources at 503-655-8459 or mailto:email@example.com?subject=Application%20Materials%20Question. Our office hours are Monday - Thursday 7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time (closed on Fridays).
HOW TO CLAIM VETERAN'S PREFERENCE
Clackamas County does not offer visa sponsorships. Once a job applicant has accepted a position, they will be required to complete an I-9 and confirm authorization to work in the United States prior to their first day.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Clackamas County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion as essential elements that create and foster a welcoming workplace. All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, political affiliation, disability or any other factor unrelated to the essential functions of the job.
If you wish to identify yourself as a qualified person with a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act and would like to request an accommodation, please address the request to the Department of Human Resources prior to the recruitment close date. You may request an accommodation during the online application process.
James Callahan, Recruiter
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3932364
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.