Seasonal Road Maintenance Assistant (Multiple Vacancies)
Job ID: 106906
Location: Oregon City, Oregon
Full/Part Time: Full Time
CLACKAMAS COUNTY CORE VALUES
WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO PRINT OR SAVE THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT FOR YOUR REFERENCE.
IT WILL NOT BE ACCESSIBLE AFTER THE CLOSE DATE.
Clackamas County employees work to serve the public and enrich our community. In that spirit, we pledge to hold ourselves to these standards at all times in our interactions with customers and one another:
• Individual accountability
By incorporating these values into our daily routines, we can better serve our customers, ourselves and our projects. We're always looking to improve. That's the Clackamas County SPIRIT.
Clackamas County is committed to building a community where people thrive, have a sense of safety, connection, and belonging, so that everyone is honored and celebrated for the richness in diversity they bring. We encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds and lived experience to apply.
This recruitment will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a regular basis, at least weekly.
We reserve the right to close this recruitment at any time on or after that date.
PAY AND BENEFITS
Hourly Pay Range: $18.253641 - $22.809130
Salary offers will be made within the posted pay range and will be based on a candidate's experience (paid or unpaid) that is directly relevant to the position.
Seasonal status employees are not eligible to receive benefits. Employees will accrue one (1) hour of sick leave for every thirty (30) hours worked with a maximum accrual of eighty (80) hours per year.
JOB DETAILS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Do you like working outdoors in varying weather conditions?
• Do you have a strong work ethic, attendance, and punctuality?
• Are you flexible and can take direction from others?
• Do you work well in a team environment?
• Are you available to work Monday-Thursday from 7:00 AM - 5:30 PM?
• Can you commit to working through the entire season?
• Are you looking to gain valuable experience that would make you a highly competitive candidate for future FULL-TIME career opportunities? Many of our long time employees started as Seasonal employees. We provide on-the-job training, competitive wages, affordable benefit options and a career path that doesn't require a college degree.
If you answered “yes” to the questions above, please read on! We are looking to hire approximately 25 hardworking and motivated individuals as Seasonal Road Maintenance Assistants in the Road, Bridge, and Traffic Maintenance divisions of the Clackamas County Department of Transportation and Development. This work is on a temporary basis for the summer season ending on September 30th. If selected for this position, you will have an opportunity to work in one of the three areas (Roads, Bridge, or Traffic).
The Transportation Maintenance Division within the Department of Transportation and Development is responsible for maintenance of road surfaces, shoulders and ditches, culvert and storm water drainage, bridge maintenance, ferry maintenance, stripping, sign work, and road patching for roughly 1,400 miles of county roads.
Due to the nature of the position, punctuality and attendance are critical to the success of the team and the Division's goals. Additionally, it is critical to be committed to working through the entire duration of the season.
Please note: you may be asked to work more than 40 hours a week. All work is performed outdoors (regardless of weather conditions), and sometimes in highly congested traffic areas.
Required Minimum Qualifications/ Transferrable Skills:*
• Must be at least 18 years of age at the time of hire
Preferred Special Qualifications/ Transferrable Skills:*
• Experience operating hand tools (ex: chain saw)
• Previous traffic control experience
• ODOT Traffic Control Certification
• Previous experience in road construction or road work
• Knowledge of occupational hazards, safety precautions, and safe operation of equipment
• Must be able to work Monday-Thursday from 7:00 AM - 5:30 PM
• Must be willing to work in all-weather conditions, including heat, rain, or other season-appropriate weather conditions
• Must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. https://dochub.clackamas.us/documents/drupal/69fd8013-4594-4afd-bee9-f1e0aeab42ea.
• Must pass a post-offer physical assessment; accommodation requests will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation
• Driving is required for County business on a regular basis or to accomplish work. Incumbents must possess a valid driver's license, and possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment. http://dochub.clackamas.us/documents/drupal/828106a0-265a-47cc-a3a6-0a2c8b028673
*For Veterans qualified for Veteran's Preference: If you believe you have skills that would transfer well to this position and/or special qualifications that relate to this position, please list those skills and/or qualifications in the open-ended question at the end of the application and explain how those skills and/or qualifications relate to this position.
KEY TRAITS & CHARACTERISTICS FOR SUCCESS IN THIS POSITION
• Strong interpersonal skills that translate into the following:
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work well independently, as well as having a collaborative, team-oriented approach to work
• Strong listening skills
• Ability to take direction from others and follow through on tasks and assignments
• Commitment to punctuality and good attendance record
The Road Maintenance Assistant's position is primarily responsible for flagging (traffic control), setting up work zones, and working on the brushing crew. Additional duties may include operating hand and power tools; operating light to moderate size vehicles; basic road maintenance (patching holes, repairing road shoulders); construction tasks; may install, maintain, and repair roadway drainage systems (clearing culverts and catch basins, unplugging pipes); maintain storm water facilities and control roadside vegetation/litter; bridge maintenance; striping.
Road Maintenance Assistant's perform manual work almost exclusively outdoors. Duties require frequent standing, squatting, digging, bending, twisting, balancing, reaching, grasping, fine motor control, and the ability to lift and carry up to 35 pounds and push/pull 50 pounds. Duties also involve frequent exposure to loud noises, exhaust fumes and dust, hot oil, asphalt and chemicals, slippery and/or uneven surfaces, traffic hazards, and adverse weather conditions including extreme temperatures. The county provides safety training, on-the-job training, and the necessary Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) required for the job.
This position may be asked to work swing shift as a regular schedule and may be asked to be available for emergency call-out when needed.
This position is included in the County's alternate workweek program, working 40 hours during a standard workweek of Monday through Thursday (Fridays off). Specific hours of work will be discussed with the candidate selected for this position at the time an offer of employment is extended.
Please Note: This position is designated as on-site/in-person. It is expected that the selected candidate will perform duties at the specified on-site work location.
EXPLORE CLACKAMAS COUNTY
Clackamas County is in a prime location in the Portland, Oregon metropolitan area and is recognized nationally as one of the most livable areas in the United States. Located on the southern edge of the City of Portland and extending to the top of Mt. Hood, Clackamas County is part of a thriving region in the Northwest. It has a population of about 400,000 citizens.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The mission of the Department of Transportation and Development (DTD) is to assist citizens and businesses in creating vibrant, sustainable communities through innovative and responsive public service.
DTD is responsible for a broad range of county services involving land use planning and permitting, building permits, county code enforcement, solid waste and recycling, road construction and maintenance, surveying, plat approvals, public land corner restoration and dog services. The county's urban renewal programs also report to DTD.
Clackamas County only accepts online applications.
Help With Your Application:
If you have any questions or issues you may contact the Department of Human Resources at 503-655-8459 or mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=Application%20Materials%20Question. Our office hours are Monday - Thursday 7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time (closed on Fridays).
HOW TO CLAIM VETERAN'S PREFERENCE
Clackamas County does not offer visa sponsorships. Within three days of hire, applicants will be required to complete an I-9 and confirm authorization to work in the United States.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Clackamas County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion as essential elements that create and foster a welcoming workplace. All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, political affiliation, disability or any other factor unrelated to the essential functions of the job.
If you wish to identify yourself as a qualified person with a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act and would like to request an accommodation, please address the request to the Department of Human Resources prior to the recruitment close date. You may request an accommodation during the online application process.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3961597
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.