NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Engineering Inspector (Engineering & Public Works)
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted as applications are received. This position will remain open until filled.
STARTING PAY RATE: $29.81 - $33.44 per hour based on a 40-hour workweek. Salary dependent on qualifications. The salary range for this position is $29.81 - $44.31. This position is represented by a union; you may refer to the AFSCME collective bargaining agreement available on our website.
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
This position is responsible for the planning and implementation of the small capital improvement projects and larger annual program. The planning and implementation of various capital improvement projects includes the management of public improvement projects for conformity to issued plans and specifications, supervision of the construction inspection services responsible for the quality of work and conformity with the village Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance. This position utilizes computer systems, including MicroStation, ArcMap and Microsoft Access for various applications; prepares engineering drawings and various exhibits; assists engineers in various project design applications; maintains records of project site information and other department file management records.
To succeed in this role the ideal candidate will need to effectively and clearly communicate to a full range of people, be able to problem solve efficiently and prioritize tasks and responsibilities with accuracy. We are looking to add a team member capable of prioritizing projects and will need to shift gears comfortably and work cooperatively with others.
1. Manages projects as directed by their supervisor consisting of small capital projects and larger annual program. This may include the procurement of equipment and services, project management and coordination among employees and other customers both within and outside of the department.
2. Meets with residents and/or business owners on various property owner concerns generated by customer work orders.
3. Manages project teams for awarded contract improvements involving such construction as roads, sidewalks, storm and sanitary sewers, water mains, site grading, curb and gutter, parking lots, retention ponds, and drainage ditches, and landscaping improvements.
4. Supervises consultant services responsible for the quality of materials, quality of work, layout of work, and conformance with approved plan specifications and land development ordinance; manages consultants hired by the village to manage and inspect various projects.
5. Works with the public relations team to coordinate scheduled improvements with adjacent facilities and their representations.
6. Performs preliminary as well as final inspections.
7. Prepares computer generated plans, exhibits and details utilizing MicroStation, AutoCAD or ArcGIS.
8. Coordinates with departmental administrative staff on file management for the division including digital and paper documentation.
9. Recommends maintenance or the ordering of engineering field equipment.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Associates of Science Degree with major coursework in Civil Engineering Technology, or related field, or certification with major coursework in Engineering or Engineering Technology required for all new hires hired after 2018.
2. A minimum of two years of experience in engineering or construction inspection.
3. Possession of a valid driver’s license.
4. Proficiency with current computer software systems, including email, calendar programs, job specific software, and customer service systems preferred or within the first six months of employment.
The Village of Schaumburg has a competitive benefit package which includes: flexible benefit Section 125 plan including health, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts, a retirement plan through the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, paid holidays, paid vacation, sick leave, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Candidate screening process may consist of an application review, skills testing, employability assessment, interviews, reference checks, and other job-related testing or verifications. Chosen candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history investigation, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination and drug screen (including cannabis).
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER